Spent hops

4Bentley

Trial Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use the spent hops in their composter or garden? I throw the grain outside and the deer eat it up within a couple days. Looking for something to do with the hops.

Does anyone use the spent hops in their composter or garden? I throw the grain outside and the deer eat it up within a couple days. Looking for something to do with the hops.
Mine goes on the lawn or garden where ever I empty my kettle.
Beware of the dog mine hasn't eaten any yet.

I generally chuck mine on some patch of ground I'm farming, either for flowers or veggies, and work it in at some point. Problem is I'm baiting rabbits by doing so. Hops, I don't worry about. Pellets go down the sink, whole hops go on the garden.

Goes on the compost heap, next to the grain.

@Nosybear Hops for Rabbits? That explains a lot...

No more or less than any other plant, but I suggest composting them first.

I have heard that hops are toxic to dogs, but I don't know if this is true or not.
Mine go in the green bin which our Region collects, an composes. They then put the resulting soil out for free pick up, it is actually that time of year right now.

I dump my spent hops in the yard with my spent grain. Since the hops are compacted into a clod, I have to break that up to spread with the grain. Yesterday, my hops clod was the biggest ever. It must be a PITA for those who brew often/bigger batches. @HighVoltageMan! must have a sh!t ton of hops to dispose of!

I have heard that hops are toxic to dogs, but I don't know if this is true or not.
Mine go in the green bin which our Region collects, an composes. They then put the resulting soil out for free pick up, it is actually that time of year right now.
Hops are toxic to dogs

@HighVoltageMan! must have a sh!t ton of hops to dispose of!
I dump them in the yard, my wife yells at me for doing it. One summer I brewed a hop bomb and threw the hops out in the yard, when I came home from work it smell like something died around the house. It was the spent hops in the hot sun. Now I dump them in my woods.

I dump my spent hops in the yard with my spent grain. Since the hops are compacted into a clod, I have to break that up to spread with the grain. Yesterday, my hops clod was the biggest ever. It must be a PITA for those who brew often/bigger batches. @HighVoltageMan! must have a sh!t ton of hops to dispose of!
There was mention of the different measures of "tons" in another thread, left out of that discussion there were the well known "crap ton", as well as the notorious "shit ton"!

Back