Specialty malt for apa

It's all up to the yeast now you've done your part the description sounds tasty to me.
Maybe the hops have seen too much air or as I find in some HB stores arnt kept frozen.
Atleast you'll get the bitterness to ballance that malt.

yeah get hops from Yakima valley which is usually excellent. The Amarillo and ekuanot smelled fantastic at least. I think between the yeast and my water profile that it should turn out ok.

YV hops, very strange indeed. And Cascade yet. I can't imagine there isn't a steady conveyor of Cascade moving through the store.

Not sure about final product but this yeast really goes to work. The original batch fermented super quick and this one has very little airlock activity left after going bonkers well below recommended temp. It’s literally been 21 hours since transferring onto the slurry. I have pushed the temp up already to encourage it further.

YV hops, very strange indeed. And Cascade yet. I can't imagine there isn't a steady conveyor of Cascade moving through the store.
Yeah starting to wonder if what’s leftover for the home brewers is below average a lot of the time. A recent ipa that I hopped liberally with citra and galaxy was pretty underwhelming. I get that some of that can do with process too but something seemed off.

Beer appears to have finished at 1.013. I was going to add dry hops but one thing I’ve learned about this yeast is that it works super fast without much krausen but doesn’t like to clear. Gonna drop the temp a bit in attempt to clear it a bit before adding dry hops.

Cant make many conclusions from the sample with so much suspended yeast but I’m getting biscuit/toasty malt forward with some citrus notes in the background.

Beer appears to have finished at 1.013. I was going to add dry hops but one thing I’ve learned about this yeast is that it works super fast without much krausen but doesn’t like to clear. Gonna drop the temp a bit in attempt to clear it a bit before adding dry hops.

Cant make many conclusions from the sample with so much suspended yeast but I’m getting biscuit/toasty malt forward with some citrus notes in the background.
That sound bloody great to me mate. Citrus sure is a cascade descriptor aroma wise it should be there carbonation just helps to bring it out more I find

Pretty disappointing batch. Toasty malt character dominates and hops are too mild plus this yeast sucks. Kind of tastes like a crappy Vienna lager. If I were to attempt this again I would remove the Munich, reduce the Amber malt significantly, and change yeast. Worst beer I’ve made in some time. Ha!

Last edited:
Pretty disappointing batch. Toasty malt character dominates and hops are too mild plus this yeast sucks. Kind of tastes like a crappy Vienna lager. If I were to attempt this again I would remove the Munich, reduce the Amber malt significantly, and change yeast. Worst beer I’ve made in some time. Ha!
Sorry to hear Iliff.

I appreciate the honest feedback. I can't speak to the yeast as I never used it and the hop schedule is a bit too complex to wrap my head around, but I just made an APA with 36%!! Munich (not that I would normally use that much, but I was cleaning house and making room) and it came out pretty decent. A bit malty, yes...but I wouldn't describe it as toasty. I used BRY-97.

I appreciate the honest feedback. I can't speak to the yeast as I never used it and the hop schedule is a bit too complex to wrap my head around, but I just made an APA with 36%!! Munich (not that I would normally use that much, but I was cleaning house and making room) and it came out pretty decent. A bit malty, yes...but I wouldn't describe it as toasty. I used BRY-97.

Yeah the toasty quality I assume comes from the amber malt. The hop additions aren’t as complex as it sounded. It’s honestly not a bad beer but it is a bad attempt at what I was trying to achieve.

had some of that. Should have gone with my initial instinct to use just base and crystal

oh I see that is an I told you so post. Thanks!
Nope, at least not from me. Your beer is your own and in the absence of a sample or pint in front of me, I can hardly tell if what you did works. I just happen to really like C60 in pale ales.

I used that yeast and also hated it. I have never touched it since... Sorry to hear you don't much care for the outcome.... I'd venture the Amber gave you too much toasty. Munich is one malt I love so I refuse to speak poorly of it ;)
Can’t disagree. The only malts I keep on hand are Pilsner, Munich I, and Munich II

Now there's a thought!
Still wondering what @BOB357 thinks like you said Megary we see a pale ale near every week out of this Man;)

Since you asked :)
While I almost always limit the use of crystal malts to 20L or lower in my IPAs, I do sometimes use C-40 or C-60 in APAs, mostly during the cooler months. I also like Munich instead of Crystal malts. For Summer APAs I tend to stay with light colored Crystal or other light colored specialty malts and often use some malted wheat too..

Just about to order grain for my next 5 Summer Pale Ales which are a good example of the lighter ones I like this time of year.
80% Viking Extra Pale 1.8 SRM, 10% Viking Golden Ale Malt 4.8 SRM and 10% Viking Wheat Malt 2.5 SRM for a beer color of about 3.6 SRM. I'll mash at 150F to keep the body light and hop to just under 40 IBUs with 2/3 to 3/4 coming from bittering additions. These 5 will be bittered with Warrior and each will use a single variety for flavor/aroma boil additions between 15 and flameout, depending on the AA%.
Currently planning on Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, CTZ and Willamette for these beers.

I do play around with recipes I find on line too, and have found some nice ones that don't fit into my typical profiles, so nothing I do is chiseled in stone.

Since you asked :)
While I almost always limit the use of crystal malts to 20L or lower in my IPAs, I do sometimes use C-40 or C-60 in APAs, mostly during the cooler months. I also like Munich instead of Crystal malts. For Summer APAs I tend to stay with light colored Crystal or other light colored specialty malts and often use some malted wheat too..

Just about to order grain for my next 5 Summer Pale Ales which are a good example of the lighter ones I like this time of year.
80% Viking Extra Pale 1.8 SRM, 10% Viking Golden Ale Malt 4.8 SRM and 10% Viking Wheat Malt 2.5 SRM for a beer color of about 3.6 SRM. I'll mash at 150F to keep the body light and hop to just under 40 IBUs with 2/3 to 3/4 coming from bittering additions. These 5 will be bittered with Warrior and each will use a single variety for flavor/aroma boil additions between 15 and flameout, depending on the AA%.
Currently planning on Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, CTZ and Willamette for these beers.

I do play around with recipes I find on line too, and have found some nice ones that don't fit into my typical profiles, so nothing I do is chiseled in stone.
Thank you Bob ;).
The good old pale ale is one I seldom brew i always find myself brewing either side of the style golden ale /blonde Ale or over to brown ale. Weird thing is it's usually the first beer i order from the list at the bar:rolleyes:.

Thank you Bob ;).
The good old pale ale is one I seldom brew i always find myself brewing either side of the style golden ale /blonde Ale or over to brown ale. Weird thing is it's usually the first beer i order from the list at the bar:rolleyes:.

I've been moving away from IPAs in favor of Pale Ales over the past few months. Before that about half of what I brewed were WC IPAs. Guess my taste just changed. I do still like a good IPA, but Pales just seem to taste better.

Back