Sparge/Strike water ratio to high? for a thick mash neipa

Mumbles

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Up everybody,

I'm planning on brewing a silky moughfeel session NEIPA. Had great results on the same recipe at 6.7% ABV with a mash thickness of 2.3. When I drop my grain bill right down, aiming for a 4.7% beer, I'm worried that I'll be pushing too much sparge water through to reach my final volume.

Normally for an IPA i'd have a mash thickness between 2.7-2.9.
Approx...

Strike 130 litres
Sparge 120 litres
Liquor back 30 litres

For the NEIPA at 2.3 thickness the calculator is giving me

Strike 90 litres
and to reach volume I'd be sparging with 150 litres which seems way too much?! Would I still be pulling out a reasonable pH and gravity in my run-off?

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
Nick

Hey Up everybody,

I'm planning on brewing a silky moughfeel session NEIPA. Had great results on the same recipe at 6.7% ABV with a mash thickness of 2.3. When I drop my grain bill right down, aiming for a 4.7% beer, I'm worried that I'll be pushing too much sparge water through to reach my final volume.

Normally for an IPA i'd have a mash thickness between 2.7-2.9.
Approx...

Strike 130 litres
Sparge 120 litres
Liquor back 30 litres

For the NEIPA at 2.3 thickness the calculator is giving me

Strike 90 litres
and to reach volume I'd be sparging with 150 litres which seems way too much?! Would I still be pulling out a reasonable pH and gravity in my run-off?

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
Nick
Not an expert on large batches but my thoughts would be to run it and monitor gravity and ph of the sparge liquor and if it drops to far to soon then stop and just add the rest of sparge water to boil kettle to get Preboil Gravity. Your not going to get the same beer with the change in gravity from other recipe though.

At a quick glance, your numbers aren't making sense.
Why don't you post the recipe and then maybe we can offer more help.
Cheers,
Brian

The link has a permission error.
Do you have it marked private?

Back