Sous Vide for heating strike and sparge water

ChicoBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I know there is discussion on the web about using a Sous Vide to maintain mash temp but I used mine a little differently yesterday during my brew day.

I have problems getting my strike and sparge water to the exact temp I want using my burner and kettle. I have to hang out there watching the thermometer and I get impatient - leave and overshoot. Yesterday I was in the cupboard and saw my Sous Vide in there and thought it would be a great tool to finish heating the water. I used the kettle and burner to heat the water to near what my final target was then finished it off with the Sous Vide. For the sparge water, once at temp I poured it into my 5 gallon igloo. I was very happy with the process. I'm going to incorporate it into my process from now on.

Heating sparge water -

20180804_181307.jpg

Works. It also works to hold mash temperatures.

I know a few people who do their whole brewday with a souz vide, i use one for my sauergut reactor.

I've seen the web articles about using them during mashing. IMO it looks like a lot of trouble and they don't have a lot of wattage.

I use mine for steaks and salmon and I make my own Yogurt. I have made custard too for ice cream and although the end product is superior to a pan I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

Interesting way to mash. I've been considering getting a sous vide to help with getting my strike water heater before mash. Thanks for sharing!

Interesting way to mash. I've been considering getting a sous vide to help with getting my strike water heater before mash. Thanks for sharing!

I use it for exactly that. I do infusion mashing and batch sparge in a 10 gallon igloo. I only use the sous vide to finish heating the strike and sparge water to the exact temp.

I'm curious about the 22 quart bucket... where did you get it?

Back