SodaStream Home Soda Maker (carbonator)

Phil K

Trial Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a SodaStream Home Soda Maker to carbonate beer? My thought is to dispense a bottle or two from my keg then use this to restore the CO2 in each bottle. Thus, having homebrew to go. I have one of the carbonator caps but its a hassle disconnecting from keg each time I want to use it.

I see a potential problem with this. The soda stream carbonates the water BEFORE you add any flavors/sugars. This helps to keep it clean as you essentially stick a long rod into the liquid and carbonates the crap out of it. If you were to use this for beer it might be difficult to keep clean; let alone sanitary. In theory it should work, but it might be more hassle than it's worth.

If you are kegging anyway, what you really want is a "poor man's beer gun". works just like a Blichmann beer gun, only much cheaper. make it yourself. Here are a few pictures of me using mine to bottle a six pack. http://www.hazardhomebrewing.org/photos ... -beer-gun/
You can also google Blichmann beer gun or "poor man's beer gun" Cheers! :D

JustBrewIt said:
If you are kegging anyway, what you really want is a "poor man's beer gun". works just like a Blichmann beer gun, only much cheaper. make it yourself. Here are a few pictures of me using mine to bottle a six pack. http://www.hazardhomebrewing.org/photos ... -beer-gun/

Small correction. What you are using is a "Poor Mans Counter Pressure Filler". A Beer Gun works on a different principal, with the valve for dispensing the beer in the bottle, at the end of the filler tube where it is beneath the level of the beer. Also a Beer Gun slowly reduces the pressure along the beer line so there is no need for the cork in the bottle neck to reduce foaming. Nothing wrong with what you are using, It (and other versions) work fine. Only a correction in terminology.

Technically correct, but, much more commonly called a poor mans beer gun. Regardless of what you choose to call it, it is a cheap quick easy way to fill bottles and purge O2 by allowing it to foam over a bit as you finish your fill. Heck, I think you can buy a real beer gun for less than one of those SodaStream machines. And as a side note, if you are already kegging & you have people in the house that drink lots of soda, you might want to look into making your own soda and putting it in your kegs. You can make great soda at home if you have kegging equipment. Cheers.

GernBlanston said:
JustBrewIt said:

Small correction. What you are using is a "Poor Mans Counter Pressure Filler". A Beer Gun works on a different principal, with the valve for dispensing the beer in the bottle, at the end of the filler tube where it is beneath the level of the beer. Also a Beer Gun slowly reduces the pressure along the beer line so there is no need for the cork in the bottle neck to reduce foaming. Nothing wrong with what you are using, It (and other versions) work fine. Only a correction in terminology.

I've read of homebrewers trying it before the prime to "see" what their beer is going to taste like and getting great results, but I don't even remember where I read that.

Back