Sodastream fittings help

rhythmdaddy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey brewers. I am trying to figure out how to easily refill Sodastream CO2 bottles using my 20lb tank. On my tank I have a regulator with a few "outputs". Only one has a hose and goes into my kegerator.

What is the best most inexpensive way to use a gas hose to something like the fitting in the attached file?
https://www.amazon.com/Farwind-Cart...hcqgCR4xvZZrWAGBs_iOoYLw-3gz5QuBoCbBsQAvD_BwE
618ze231jUL._AC_SX679_.jpg

You would want to disconnect your regulator and fill it with the co2 tank upside-down .

If the soda stream is near the co2 tank just buy the adapter and connect it to the co2 tank and skip the little soda stream bottles

Hey brewers. I am trying to figure out how to easily refill Sodastream CO2 bottles using my 20lb tank. On my tank I have a regulator with a few "outputs". Only one has a hose and goes into my kegerator.

What is the best most inexpensive way to use a gas hose to something like the fitting in the attached file?
https://www.amazon.com/Farwind-Cart...hcqgCR4xvZZrWAGBs_iOoYLw-3gz5QuBoCbBsQAvD_BwEView attachment 28427
Yes. The regulator output pressure is too low to fill the sodastream bottle. Need to use an adapter to go from big co2 to little co2.

Yes. The regulator output pressure is too low to fill the sodastream bottle. Need to use an adapter to go from big co2 to little co2.
OK. So, I am trying to avoid disconnecting the regulator every time I refill the Sodastream bottle. I guess I could split the gas out of the tank, with one going into the regulator and one going into the Sodastream fill adapter. Looking to see if that is possible.

You would want to disconnect your regulator and fill it with the co2 tank upside-down .

If the soda stream is near the co2 tank just buy the adapter and connect it to the co2 tank and skip the little soda stream bottles
It doesn't seem like the bottle needs inverted to fill the Sodastream. Also, my 20lb tank and Sodastream are in different places.

It doesn't seem like the bottle needs inverted to fill the Sodastream. Also, my 20lb tank and Sodastream are in different places.
Ok that’s good you have the siphon tank, makes it easier than turning upside down.

OK. So, I am trying to avoid disconnecting the regulator every time I refill the Sodastream bottle. I guess I could split the gas out of the tank, with one going into the regulator and one going into the Sodastream fill adapter. Looking to see if that is possible.
This is not gong to work. If you don't transfer liquid from the big tank to the soda stream bottle. you will have 12sec of gas.

Co2 is NOT stored as gas

Unless you have a siphon tube tank, you have to invert it.

BTW if you do have a siphon tube tank, it won't work with a regulator for a kegerator. You will freeze the reg and 750psi will go into your kegs.

Not likely you have this style of tank unless you asked for it

Following this want to get adaptor to fill my sodastream.

I thought you have to invert the bottle.

Watch the video, they do invert it
Exactly the OP was mentioning not inverting which reminded me of that thar Tutorial from Kegland...
Was just adding to this conversation
And learning at the same time...

With the Co2 bottles we have there is no dip tube (like in a keg), so you have to invert or you won't be transferring liquid.
Make sure you do your research, this can be very dangerous.

I tried with some fittings and a steel braded hose and failed miserably. I saw this thread and ordered the fitting to try again.

CO2 tank has to be inverted. You want to fill your Sodastream with liquid CO2, not gaseous CO2.

Sodastream refill adaptor

This is what I use to refill my soda stream, using a 20lb Coke CO2 bottle. There is no way to do it without inverting the CO2 bottle.

You also need something to weigh the amount of CO2 going into the sodastream bottle. Can't just fill it willy nilly, unless you like to make CO2 bombs, but I don't recommend it.

Also need to freeze your sodastream bottles before filling, and when filling, you have to barely crack the valve on the refill adaptor, and fill the sodastream tank slowly at first. Sodastream doesn't want you refilling their tanks, as they loose money on it, so they put in a check valve to stop it. However you can get by the check valve by filling it slowly. Once you get a flow going, you can open it up a bit more. Really only matters the first 50-100grams of CO2 when filling.

Another option to consider, as noted above, is to skip using the too small Sodastream bottles, and just use a larger CO2 tank with a hose from the regulator to the Sodastream station. Such hoses are readily available on internet sales sites. I use a 10# tank and it lasts more than a year. You just need to accept the additional space required for an external tank. Even a 2-1/2# tank holds more than the bigger Sodastream bottles.

I reread my post above and realized that my setup doesn’t use a regulator on the CO2 tank. The hose connects directly to the flange on the tank valve and goes to the Sodastream station. So I’m carbonating with gas at tank pressure, not reduced with a regulator. The hose is a heavy, braided one, but I still don’t leave the tank valve open except when I’m carbonating, after that I close it.

You need to buy the adapter hose with the correct fitting for Sodastream on eBay - yes it's fairly cheap. Yes you have to take your regulator off the bottle, fit the new doodad and stand it upside down to get liquid. You can buy a non-knobbled Sodastream valve that takes refills without drama on Aliexpress.com - I did this. Weigh the sodastream cartridge before and after with a cheap eBay hook scale and a grocery bag. I believe you can find the correct fill weight on the side (it's been a few years). DO NOT overfill it!

You need to buy the adapter hose with the correct fitting for Sodastream on eBay - yes it's fairly cheap. Yes you have to take your regulator off the bottle, fit the new doodad and stand it upside down to get liquid. You can buy a non-knobbled Sodastream valve that takes refills without drama on Aliexpress.com - I did this. Weigh the sodastream cartridge before and after with a cheap eBay hook scale and a grocery bag. I believe you can find the correct fill weight on the side (it's been a few years). DO NOT overfill it!
Normal Sodastream bottles are 407 grams I believe (maybe 410?), I usually err on the side of caution and take mine to around 400grams.

Back