So hard to pick bottles for competition!

S0rceress0

Trial Member
Reaction score
One of these 12oz bottles will go to the Oregon Homebrew Competition....but which....ones...... ;D I'm super excited. This is EXPat. It was supposed to be a brown, but I cranked up the ABV and it became a great strong ale.

https://imgur.com/a/JRUKB
g03I6

One of these 12oz bottles will go to the Oregon Homebrew Competition....but which....ones...... ;D I'm super excited. This is EXPat. It was supposed to be a brown, but I cranked up the ABV and it became a great strong ale.

https://imgur.com/a/JRUKB
g03I6
well make sure its in the right category or will not be judged well. step one enter given beer into right category:).

ive only been at one comp so absolutely zilch experience in that field but what i did garner whilst there was dont enter an IPA gor example into a Pale Ale or such forth category whilst close its a low score straight up some beerz got transfered once tasted to the right table but that was being nice.

There is (I believe, not checking) a strong brown category.... It'll do best if entered in an appropriate category, regardless of what you intended. So if it's more like a Dubbel, enter it there. A strong brown, enter it there. There are enough categories now that you can fit a beer just about anywhere, just don't try to pass off infection as funk. We're on to that.

Just put the same beer in every category and see which one it does well in!

Quantity has a quality all it's own.

ok so i thought this was a good thread to post this in bear with me im a little piddled :eek:!

right so ive not got category numbers and all with me but i can spell put the entrys and well you know im sure i can fill in da blanks savy;).

right so up comming comp 2nd brew comp... is Harvey Bay QLD @Mark D Pirate i woulda kept your bottles cold for ya and delivered them chilled in person:p...

disclamer for people like @jeffpn .who couldnt imagine entering his beers for some spruking and evaluation im doing this cuz i want the valid feed back other than mine on my homebrew... so while i listen to Eric Clapton "Layla" (what a song!)
here we go tune un if ya please...

1st beer is German Pils this one is going to be less than a week conditioning due to my hungry beer guzzling attitude :oops: so low scored prob lets see;).

2nd is my saison. last year i scored bad low20's this year ive submitted my passionfruit pineapple saison ( last year was berry saison) it scored low 20s:oops:. but i know this one is gunna be at least 30s or more. its actually more lemony than piney...

3rd is my homeroast IPA fermented with simcoe-summit on fermentation and -Citra and Glaxy on DH. im not an IPA pro so Will see what becomes of this oh i used home.made (marris otter)crystal malt for this 80L i think...

lastly is my czech amber lager my double decocted malt lovers lager with majority vienna pilsner malt fermented with trusty and sugary 34/70 with adjusted high alkalinity water profile as @oliver will remember my bicarbonate addition well lets see it them judges can tell eh?

put your bets on :).....

mu thoughts before judging

my pils is early but its clean i just hope i can clear it before comp sample and puzzle the judges. ive got a 2nd in this so far ao im not pursueing this time.

mu Saison i need to make up a good score. so far im tasting a good sessionable lemony flavoured puls based sessionable saison its going good possible 3rd:rolleyes::D.

next czech amber well if i dont confuse the taster with dunkel im starting well....:rolleyes: after this its.complex fruity a little roasty got good bodie sooooo im hoping good things fro. amber...;).

now captain America i say this because i recon its an American inspird brew right.? its home roasted andhome crystal malted. bacj a fair few months ago. a thought for those excited brewerz yes you can roast and crystal you own malt and it will create a distinct personal touch or so i hope... i created Crystal 80 i think? and i toasted oates till golden.

well ill.update yall next week weekend or later wish me luck i love this event
oh if yall want.to know a crazy great Aussie band its " Busby Marou" check em out youll love em...

Last edited:
Two things I don’t have
1) an interest in getting my own beers judged
2) a problem with those who do want to get their beers judged so they can get feedback they’re looking for

There’s enough room in this hobby for everybody to be happy. Brew on! Here’s wishing you get what you desire out of your competition. Good luck!

lastly is my czech amber lager my double decocted malt lovers lager with majority vienna pilsner malt fermented with trusty and sugary 34/70 with adjusted high alkalinity water profile as @oliver will remember my bicarbonate addition well lets see it them judges can tell eh?.

can you link the recipe again? I learned a lot about bicarbonate and such right after you first brought that up.. Some of my doppelbock plans now don't even take bicarbonate into consideration. The water calculator shows that there's enough roasted malts to get the beer dark, but not enough roasted to drop the acidity too much. Czech Amber I can't imagine would need that much bicarbonate, but MIGHT benefit from a bigger sodium addition? thinking out loud..

ok so i thought this was a good thread to post this in bear with me im a little piddled :eek:!

right so ive not got category numbers and all with me but i can spell put the entrys and well you know im sure i can fill in da blanks savy;).

right so up comming comp 2nd brew comp... is Harvey Bay QLD @Mark D Pirate i woulda kept your bottles cold for ya and delivered them chilled in person:p...

disclamer for people like @jeffpn .who couldnt imagine entering his beers for some spruking and evaluation im doing this cuz i want the valid feed back other than mine on my homebrew... so while i listen to Eric Clapton "Layla" (what a song!)
here we go tune un if ya please...

1st beer is German Pils this one is going to be less than a week conditioning due to my hungry beer guzzling attitude :oops: so low scored prob lets see;).

2nd is my saison. last year i scored bad low20's this year ive submitted my passionfruit pineapple saison ( last year was berry saison) it scored low 20s:oops:. but i know this one is gunna be at least 30s or more. its actually more lemony than piney...

3rd is my homeroast IPA fermented with simcoe-summit on fermentation and -Citra and Glaxy on DH. im not an IPA pro so Will see what becomes of this oh i used home.made (marris otter)crystal malt for this 80L i think...

lastly is my czech amber lager my double decocted malt lovers lager with majority vienna pilsner malt fermented with trusty and sugary 34/70 with adjusted high alkalinity water profile as @oliver will remember my bicarbonate addition well lets see it them judges can tell eh?

put your bets on :).....

mu thoughts before judging

my pils is early but its clean i just hope i can clear it before comp sample and puzzle the judges. ive got a 2nd in this so far ao im not pursueing this time.

mu Saison i need to make up a good score. so far im tasting a good sessionable lemony flavoured puls based sessionable saison its going good possible 3rd:rolleyes::D.

next czech amber well if i dont confuse the taster with dunkel im starting well....:rolleyes: after this its.complex fruity a little roasty got good bodie sooooo im hoping good things fro. amber...;).

now captain America i say this because i recon its an American inspird brew right.? its home roasted andhome crystal malted. bacj a fair few months ago. a thought for those excited brewerz yes you can roast and crystal you own malt and it will create a distinct personal touch or so i hope... i created Crystal 80 i think? and i toasted oates till golden.

well ill.update yall next week weekend or later wish me luck i love this event
oh if yall want.to know a crazy great Aussie band its " Busby Marou" check em out youll love em...
I'd be happy to provide you feedback on your beer! All I need is a ticket to Australia.... ;-)

Seriously, if you want unbiased feedback, entering a competition is a lot cheaper than flying me to Oz and paying my hourly consulting rate, not to mention hotel costs and meals. :p

Pils: Fine it with gelatin. That'll clear it in two days and you'll have crystal-bright beer.
Saison sounds good: Go with it.
Czech amber: The difference between this and a Dunkel is diacetyl - you should taste a bit of it. Believe it or not, you can add this flavor, just get some fake butter flavor.
Captain America: Not sure what you did there so no comment.

Good luck with the competition and do keep us posted!

can you link the recipe again? I learned a lot about bicarbonate and such right after you first brought that up.. Some of my doppelbock plans now don't even take bicarbonate into consideration. The water calculator shows that there's enough roasted malts to get the beer dark, but not enough roasted to drop the acidity too much. Czech Amber I can't imagine would need that much bicarbonate, but MIGHT benefit from a bigger sodium addition? thinking out loud..
well im not really sure weather munich dunkle or czech amber lager but heres the recipie again.
i enterednit in as czech amber lager that was my intent anyhow:).

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/604002/malt-lust-

Back