So damn cold

Krimbos

Trial Member
Reaction score
This polar vortex is cutting into my brew schedule!

How cold have you brewed? Really don't feel like brewing on the stove!!

22°F is my lowest so far. It wasn't too bad with all the heat from the mash fun and boiler.

this whole month has been up and down from 30 to around 2 and wind chill's of -15 degrees. brewing in the garage was so hard the whole thing was covered in fog,

Brewed at 7 degrees with strong winds and had to crack the door just to see lol, chilled my 12 gallons of wort in the snow, was done in a couple of hours

It's in the single digits here in PA. The Keezer is nice and cold thanks to Mother Nature, but brewing is a chore until about 1/2 way through when the garage warms up from the burners and steam. Bring on Spring!

I brew electric in my laundry room. Ventilation is okay with an open window but I need to force vent it out in the future. Yes, it is damn cold here in Ontario too.

look on the bright side guys. Lagers are a piece of cake.

Time to make an "Eisbock"! Whatever you've got, before you bottle or keg it, let'r freeze a bit and just drain off the liquid.
I really really like I/APAs concentrated this way. (e.g. BrewDog's Sink The Bismark) :mrgreen:

I'm with Smitty - my brew day has gotten down to about 20 degrees. Problem here is the wind whipping the burner flame around. But 20 in Denver isn't the same as 20 somewhere lower and more humid....

I guess I am a wuss

But Chitown has been ridiculous this year

I go back to brewing 5 gallon extracts with specialty grains on the stove when it gets to cold outside. Here in the Denver area it always warms up to above 40F eventually so I seem to be able to brew outside almost every month.

Just made a personal record for low temp brewing with the batch I just put in the fermenter. 10 degrees and getting ready to snow (heavy overcast at least). I had to keep the heat on full afterburner and still ended up with a little more than I planned for, then the wort chiller froze up. I sat the brew pot in the snow and it was down to 71 degrees in 35 minutes!

Like today - just put a double-decocted Hefeweizen in the jug! Whoo hoo! Very pleasant outside brew day here in the Mile Hi.... No Broncos jokes, please.

I'm a fair-weather fan at best, there's always too much to do for me to sit and watch passively while 22 grown men play a game. But it was just a bit disappointing - I wish they'd at least have made a game of it! But on the other hand, it was the best ski day of the season. And none of the epic traffic jams on the way home. But back to brewing, how do you intend to feng shui your brewery? :lol:

The weather has me a bit bummed out today.
I had two brews planned today, (well, a mead and a brew). I have my fermenters clean, my ingredients ready.
Went to lhbs to get my yeast packs to make starters yesterday, snow shut er' down. Went to whole foods to get some Narwhal, snow shut er' down. I probably can't find time to brew for another week, sucks.
The end, rant over.

Back