Skagit Valley Malting

Counterpoint: Adding every micro-maltster out there to the main ingredients list will make that list pretty cumbersome pretty quickly. I'd suggest the OP add those ingredients to their own profile as custom fermentables so the rest of us with no access to the product can still find what we need.... Does that capability exist?

Personally, I prefer to NOT show all brands (except for yeast), and to only show the generic versions then I adjust the malt properties, based on the lot # and spec sheet, for each recipe before brew day and re-scale the recipe if necessary to hit my OG.

Even for the big maltsters like briess, each lot can have slightly different properties. Usually it doesn't matter, but anyone that knows me knows I'm the analytical sort.

Looking at the brand settings page, I think I might actually submit a request to the devs to have a toggle ALL on/off button at the top of each section. @Yooper thoughts? Think that would be helpful, or am I just talking to myself there?

As far as adding the ingredients to the catalog, I'll leave that up to yooper and the owners. I can see the benefit in supporting micro maltsters and increasing exposure.

Setting aside my Brewers friend hat, I think us brewers need to put more pressure on the maltsters in getting them to release a beerXML file of their product catalog so it's easier to add to the software of your choosing...

Personally, I prefer to NOT show all brands (except for yeast), and to only show the generic versions then I adjust the malt properties, based on the lot # and spec sheet, for each recipe before brew day and re-scale the recipe if necessary to hit my OG.

Even for the big maltsters like briess, each lot can have slightly different properties. Usually it doesn't matter, but anyone that knows me knows I'm the analytical sort.

Looking at the brand settings page, I think I might actually submit a request to the devs to have a toggle ALL on/off button at the top of each section. @Yooper thoughts? Think that would be helpful, or am I just talking to myself there?

As far as adding the ingredients to the catalog, I'll leave that up to yooper and the owners. I can see the benefit in supporting micro maltsters and increasing exposure.

Setting aside my Brewers friend hat, I think us brewers need to put more pressure on the maltsters in getting them to release a beerXML file of their product catalog so it's easier to add to the software of your choosing...
What he said.

I prefer to see individual malsters represented. I find differences from brand to brand, and it's nice to see my recipes represented with the exact ingredients i'm using.

but also, @capnfolie, you can custom add the malts to the catalog in the recipe builder.

Counterpoint: Adding every micro-maltster out there to the main ingredients list will make that list pretty cumbersome pretty quickly.

this is understandable, but what is cumbersome about the ingredient list is the lack of search functionality. If you search "weyermann pils" nothing shows up, because it has to be typed exactly "weyermann - Pilsner" and even that the search screws up and sometimes can't figure it out. What i'd like to see, which will help everyone, searching for "wey pils" should bring up weyermann pils to click on, and the same goes for if you like the generic option. Searching for "american 2-row" exactly like that should bring up the generic option, it doesn't do that at this point. That way you never need to look at more than a few items and scroll too much.

I prefer to see individual malsters represented. I find differences from brand to brand, and it's nice to see my recipes represented with the exact ingredients i'm using.

but also, @capnfolie, you can custom add the malts to the catalog in the recipe builder.

this is understandable, but what is cumbersome about the ingredient list is the lack of search functionality. If you search "weyermann pils" nothing shows up, because it has to be typed exactly "weyermann - Pilsner" and even that the search screws up and sometimes can't figure it out. What i'd like to see, which will help everyone, searching for "wey pils" should bring up weyermann pils to click on, and the same goes for if you like the generic option. Searching for "american 2-row" exactly like that should bring up the generic option, it doesn't do that at this point. That way you never need to look at more than a few items and scroll too much.
Sounds like you're arguing my point. I understand your desire to have those in the dropdowns but adding them reverts us to the much derided all-things-to-all-brewers approach of a couple months ago. You have the option of adding those fermentables as your own custom fermentables. I don't use the feature and it makes my recipe building cumbersome because of the arguments you present. If we can meet both of our needs with custom fermentables tied to your own brewing, that seems to me to be the better route rather than imposing that complexity on those of us who don't use it. Other way, give me a SINGLE switch to shut off everything but the defaults - current state I have to deselect every maltster individually. It seems to me the solution is already in place: Add all the custom fermentables you want and if they're not a part of my profile, I never see them.

I didn't realize that the brand setting toggles were there. Now that I know that it's there, I would also like to deselect all, then go through and select the maltsters that my LHBS carrys.

Honestly that has bugged me forever too! I couldn't count how many times I've typed "2row", "two row", or "amer row". @Yooper do you think we could put in a ticket to have spaces act as wild cards in the dropdown searches? That way, "wey pils" will work, as will "2 row"?

Just want to add as this was worked on before, it was one of the worst muffs we have seen in BF advancements. Even with beta testing it brought out a can of worms that is still discussed (case in point). And also It brings up the point of choices or toggles for individual users. There has been a huge amount of improvement in malt choices since this was instigated. I personally am tired of relearning how to build a recipe and it not helping me make better beer. I personally don't give a rat's pitutty which batch of Great Western I am using. I know it won't make noticeable differences in my beer. That said priceless should have the option of knowing every small detail of the grain but this is where the switches come in. This is a hobby and everyone will take it to a different level.
That said a better search system would be a very good improvement. As pointed out our system ain't no g@@gle. Just instigate it in a careful manner please.

Just want to add as this was worked on before, it was one of the worst muffs we have seen in BF advancements. Even with beta testing it brought out a can of worms that is still discussed (case in point). And also It brings up the point of choices or toggles for individual users. There has been a huge amount of improvement in malt choices since this was instigated. I personally am tired of relearning how to build a recipe and it not helping me make better beer. I personally don't give a rat's pitutty which batch of Great Western I am using. I know it won't make noticeable differences in my beer. That said priceless should have the option of knowing every small detail of the grain but this is where the switches come in. This is a hobby and everyone will take it to a different level.
That said a better search system would be a very good improvement. As pointed out our system ain't no g@@gle. Just instigate it in a careful manner please.
Word.

Honestly that has bugged me forever too! I couldn't count how many times I've typed "2row", "two row", or "amer row". @Yooper do you think we could put in a ticket to have spaces act as wild cards in the dropdown searches? That way, "wey pils" will work, as will "2 row"?

I think there is already a ticket for a smarter search (I also use 2 row, but also pale malt and can’t find what I’m looking for). I’ll look and bump it up to a more priority fix.

This is up on beta now, if anyone wants to take a look! I’m looking at it now myself.

While not ideal (2 row does not equal two row, for example), it’s so much better! “Pils” gives you several Pilsner malt choices, and “row” gives you 2 row and two row, but also brown (of course).

I don’t see any glaring issues with it. If I don’t hear negatively from some of you, I’ll go ahead and approve. We can always revisit this in the future. We are limited a bit by what we can do here with the search, so I think it’s a good fix.

Typing the exact phrase "weyermann - pilsner" it still wont find it.

If i want to pull up Weyermann Pils, typing "weyermann pils" or even "wey pils" should be able to find the one malt i'm looking for, or at least display the malt in the search.

If some one wants it generic, searching for "German Pils" shows no results, and in that same regard, searching for "ger pils" as a short hand should also be able to find it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.23.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.23.00 PM.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 68
This is up on beta now, if anyone wants to take a look! I’m looking at it now myself.

While not ideal (2 row does not equal two row, for example), it’s so much better! “Pils” gives you several Pilsner malt choices, and “row” gives you 2 row and two row, but also brown (of course).

I don’t see any glaring issues with it. If I don’t hear negatively from some of you, I’ll go ahead and approve. We can always revisit this in the future. We are limited a bit by what we can do here with the search, so I think it’s a good fix.

Thanks Yooper, quick turn around!

Typing the exact phrase "weyermann - pilsner" it still wont find it.

If i want to pull up Weyermann Pils, typing "weyermann pils" or even "wey pils" should be able to find the one malt i'm looking for, or at least display the malt in the search.

If some one wants it generic, searching for "German Pils" shows no results, and in that same regard, searching for "ger pils" as a short hand should also be able to find it.

@oliver, I noticed the same bug yesterday and it turns out for some reason Weyermann is part of the user contributed ingredient catalog and only 1 weyermann product, carabelge, is in the "official" BF catalog. User contributed ingredients can be toggled on/off on the profile / general settings page.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/general_settings

After discussing that issue, we're also going to open a separate request regarding the user contributed ingredients. I've requested to add a column to the Brands page so it shows the official catalog ingredient count and the user contributed catalog count. IE weyermann would show 1 and 36 instead of the current 37.

We're also going to see if we can implement a semiautomatic approval process for moving ingredients from the public user contributed catalog to the official BF catalog based on the number of recipes, and the number of users that use that product. I'm not sure when, or if that is possible, but I think that would be a useful feature.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/brand_settings

Last edited:
Hello everyone, the improved ingredient search feature went live today! Let us know what you think on the change log post, or if you're seeing any issues.

Back