Sinamar in Schwarzbier

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I can't remember what thread it was but I was saying you could use Sinamar extract to darken a Schwarzbier. Well.... I'm eating those words. My last Schwarz came out a bit too light. It's not supposed to be black, despite the name, but this one, well, let's just say it was on the light end of the acceptable spectrum. So out comes the trusty Sinamar, in goes two ounces of it and at the next gravity check, it was indeed darker. Problem was, it was the wrong color of darker.

The Carafa malts tend to color a Schwarzbier a rich Chestnut brown with red highlights. The Sinamar? Mud brown. Even with the yeast and trub filtered out, it becomes a warm brown but no red highlights to be found. It's relatively flavorless so I haven't ruined the beer, but I have damaged its appearance with the Sinamar. I'd used Sinamar before but not in a Schwarzbier. It's okay for darkening but the color is not as attractive as that achieved with dark malts.

Next time? Cold-steep some Carafa III and throw it in. It's not harsh, has a mellow chocolate-coffee flavor acceptable in a Schwarzbier and I won't have a brown lager, which is what this may end up being called. And another lesson in not believing everything you read.

I can't remember what thread it was but I was saying you could use Sinamar extract to darken a Schwarzbier. Well.... I'm eating those words. My last Schwarz came out a bit too light. It's not supposed to be black, despite the name, but this one, well, let's just say it was on the light end of the acceptable spectrum. So out comes the trusty Sinamar, in goes two ounces of it and at the next gravity check, it was indeed darker. Problem was, it was the wrong color of darker.

The Carafa malts tend to color a Schwarzbier a rich Chestnut brown with red highlights. The Sinamar? Mud brown. Even with the yeast and trub filtered out, it becomes a warm brown but no red highlights to be found. It's relatively flavorless so I haven't ruined the beer, but I have damaged its appearance with the Sinamar. I'd used Sinamar before but not in a Schwarzbier. It's okay for darkening but the color is not as attractive as that achieved with dark malts.

Next time? Cold-steep some Carafa III and throw it in. It's not harsh, has a mellow chocolate-coffee flavor acceptable in a Schwarzbier and I won't have a brown lager, which is what this may end up being called. And another lesson in not believing everything you read.

Nothing wrong with percieved fail. Thanks for sharing :)

Like all things brewing try it out for yourself and see. I like the cold steep ideah.

Like all things brewing try it out for yourself and see. I like the cold steep ideah.
Problem is with color prediction: I don't add the dark malts to my mash, rather I cap the sparge with them. So contact time is a lot lower and I don't get as much color as the formulas predict. So, despite the fact that the Schwarzbier is fermenting out nicely, I'll change the type of Carafa to Carafa III, with a reserve to cold-steep if the brew isn't dark enough for my taste.

I use it quite frequently. Not sure what the problem was but my beers have zero issues with it.

Swarz
2VaI0dW.jpg

Marzen
9XHscjK.jpg

Happy to report the color is correcting itself. It's gone from mud brown to a nice chestnut. And it tastes really good, at least the sample did.

Happy to report the color is correcting itself. It's gone from mud brown to a nice chestnut. And it tastes really good, at least the sample did.
Aha great to hear noseybear. The proof will be in the pudding or should I say "the beer"!

Back