Simple leftovers

nflamedrash

Premium Member
Reaction score
I normally stick to strict proven recipes but I have left overs that are starting to reach the 2 month old point and I want to use them before they stale. I think the recipe below is simple and will work just fine but open to suggestions. I know the primary response will be "try it, who knows it may be great" and I really do understand that. But, I do not have experience creating recipes so if something looks out of line or I am mixing ingredients that should not be mixed please let me know so I don't waste time.

12 Gallon Batch

5 LBS Maris Otter
10 LBS 2 Row
1 LB British Crystal 70
1 LB Crystal 40
2 LB Corn Sugar (too dry?)

2 OZ Fuggle (60 MIN)
1.25 OZ UK Kent Goldings (45 min?) maybe 30
2 OZ Styrian Goldings (5 min)

Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale - two step 2 liter starter

I'm used to brewing a 5 gallons batch, so keep that in mind for my opinions.
My first thought with the corn sugar is that it's too much of a percentage of the bill. I don't think that stuff goes bad really, so I'd probably drop half of it.
2 lbs of crystal might also be too much, making the end product a little too sweet for my tastes. Ive always seen around 10% is the max for using crystal malts. But, if you use the full 2 lbs of corn sugar, that may counteract that a bit and even out the sweet/dry ratio. Really not sure though
I'd bump some of the earlier hops additions later in the boil. Maybe 1 oz at 60, then some at 45, 30, and 15. I like the 5 min addition though.
Maybe even do a blend of the hops at different times, rather than all of one kind all at one time. Might give the hop flavor and aroma a little complexity
I don't see any ingredients that outright clash with each other. In fact, that almost looks like an English Pale Ale or Bitter to me.
Oh, and try it, it'll probably be great ;)

Thank you and nice suggestions. I am not a fan of sweet beers either but was looking for some body, I will rework those crystal amounts based on percentages. I also agree with the suggestion concerning the corn sugar, maybe cutting the amount in half makes sense. Just because I have it does not mean I have to use it.

Hops- glad to hear they work and I will spread them out a little more. Not the hops I often use so I am not familiar with the impact of time -vs- flavor.

Your comments and time spent are much appreciated.

I just made a 5 gallon batch where the recipe had 1 pound of corn sugar. I think that's probably the perfect amount, not that I'm an expert. It's a Vienna lager with a nice dry taste.

your recipe will work just fine,I would only use the sugar if you don't have any dme just for the fact its not so cheap but to offset the dryness just ferment with an English yeast like US04 or yours will do also raise the temp a few degrees higher than normal in the mash, otherwise it should be good

All good suggestions I am glad I posted the question.

By the way, I like the idea of raising the Mash temp by two degrees that will put me in the 154-155 range.

Thank you everyone.

looks like a good Bitter as is. With that yeast ferment near the higher recommended temp and might get some of the esters required for a bitter. Or hop it up some more and go English Session IPA!

Haha...leftovers. I was just taking inventory of my leftovers and was thinking a good Franken-beer might be in the works. :)

That recipe looks very similar to ones that I've brewed over the years, except for the Maris Otter—I haven't tried that one yet. Looks great to me, with the suggestions made by the others. You could very well leave the ratios as-is, but I like the modifications suggested, better.

My leftovers look more like this: .5lb Biscuit Malt, .5lb flaked oats, 1lb flaked wheat, .5lb honey malt, and a few other odds and ends. Not enough to do a full batch, but too much to just "throw in" to another batch. Kinda stuck. Guess I need to obtain some bigger bulk grains so I'll have more leftovers. With a new LHBS only about 45 mins away (they keep getting closer!) that might just happen in the near future. :) And get a dang grain mill. Birthday and Father's Day are coming up..

My biggest concern is the English hop and the yeast. If you change one out you can make a more true to style beer.
If it were me, I'd leave out the C-40 and 1 pound of the sugar. Cut your Hops in half and get a good English yeast like wlp002 or wlp013. A nice Bitter.

Or,
Mash @ 156,
Add a few ounces of Cascade to it @ 0 min, cool to 150° and whirlpool for 30 minutes. Ferment cool, A nice American Brown.

FWIW
Brian

Oops,
May need to add some chocolate malt to the brown. 8 ounces should do :D

Back