Simple Lager

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I really don't do lager but am coming under a bit of pressure to get one done so, little help please?

I'm looking for a simple recipe using as much of what I have as possible, I will push the boat out and buy correct yeast :)

I have lots of Vienna, Lots of Munich, Lots of Extra Pale, mountains of Maris Otter but no Pilsner malt.

I have loads of Saaz hops so those are not a problem.

I would like something that's ready relatively quickly, none of that lagering carry-on if poss...

Thanks for help.

I really don't do lager but am coming under a bit of pressure to get one done so, little help please?

I'm looking for a simple recipe using as much of what I have as possible, I will push the boat out and buy correct yeast :)

I have lots of Vienna, Lots of Munich, Lots of Extra Pale, mountains of Maris Otter but no Pilsner malt.

I have loads of Saaz hops so those are not a problem.

I would like something that's ready relatively quickly, none of that lagering carry-on if poss...

Thanks for help.
I did this Vienna a few weeks ago. Turned out great. Kinda bready, and lemony finish.

I subd 350 chocolate for the rye and used 34/70 for yeast. Just fermented @52F as well. Did a D rest just before crashing

https://share.brewfather.app/QYVsj7DOFCEzNU

Last edited:
Vienna Lager you could brew.
Straight Vienna malt or with a splash like 1% roasted barley for that little twist.
With half the BU:GU like 1:2 so 25ibu at OG 1.050 for instance

You may want to do a pilot batch with something like 34/70 or Nova Lager yeast
I've fermented both them yeasts at 18c in a lager like beer with satisfactory results.

Sazz is my favourite for European style lager beers.

Hey you may need some pilsner malt if you want some really lite coloured beers.

A simple lager can be simple: single malt (Vienna) and single hops. Or add a little pale or Munich (5-15%) just to complicate it. Then get a lager yeast and control the fermentation temperature.

For lagers, we usually double the yeast compared to an ale. It also takes some more time to ferment. The real time is lagering, a pure mechanical process that takes a few to several weeks.

Other than that, it's the same.

I did this Vienna a few weeks ago. Turned out great. Kinda bready, and lemony finish.

I subd 350 chocolate for the rye and used 34/70 for yeast. Just fermented @52F as well. Did a D rest just before crashing

https://share.brewfather.app/QYVsj7DOFCEzNU
Pretty much what I was invisioning wow that's a perty beer man:)!

I like the use of the chocolate malt and the water profile i would went more malty but hey crisper is usually better depending on what your going for.

Pretty much what I was invisioning wow that's a perty beer man:)!

I like the use of the chocolate malt and the water profile i would went more malty but hey crisper is usually better depending on what your going for.
was going for dry with a nice bite at the end. it actually turned out a little more malty than I thought it would................more gypsum next time or maybe a bit more acid.

was going for dry with a nice bite at the end. it actually turned out a little more malty than I thought it would................more gypsum next time or maybe a bit more acid.
Yup would been the Vienna or you could cut it with some pilsner or rice/corn and keep the gypsum where it's at and/or lower the PH 5.2.

This is what mine actually looked like. Not quite as red as the recipe picture. But he does have red blankets behind it, lol

20230524_191913.jpg

A single malt lager using Maris Otter is really good. It’s like a Helles, but unique. 34/70 will keep it from getting sweet.
I’ve made them in the past and will do it again.

Such a healthy forum with so many answers for recipe selections for a simple lager recipe!

Apologies. Life went bonkers when I got back from holiday, been chasing my tail trying to get on top of everything.

I'll read back through this lot now; all input much appreciated as ever :)

Back