Silver Medal for Yeast Starter

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Today I found out my "A Belgian Dirty Blonde" took a silver medal in the Colorado State Fair. The joke's on them: The beer was a yeast starter for my Belgian Quad. It turned out better than the quad! Don't knock extract, guys and gals, the beer was made with bulk extract from the LHBS. I'll try an all-grain version over the winter and see if I can't improve it a bit.

I make great extract beers too, I've been making 10 gallon batches all summer and very good beer

I think jumping to all-grain too early is one of the worst mistakes beginning brewers make. With extract you can learn the top two factors in brewing, sanitation and managing the fermentation, without the variables all-grain introduces. If I were establishing a "beer school," my first task for students would be to master a blonde ale made with only extract and a single hop. Or a Helles - if you can brew a good helles, you can brew just about anything.

I agree they need to brew a kit then make their own and figure out what tastes good to them rather than brewing the biggest or hoppiest beer out there

The more I brew (and taste beers), the more I like the "classics". I suppose they became the standards for a good reason: People like them.

The more I brew (and taste beers), the more I like the "classics". I suppose they became the standards for a good reason: People like them.
I agree to some degree, and call this blasphemy, but I like the big bold flavors of IPA's, Stouts. I've tried [tasted, not brewed] several "classic styles" and will brew a Helles or hefeweizen or even a Pilsner this winter when we try our first Lager. But my heart (for now) belongs to the bold beers. In fact, we are planing on brewing a Yuengling Lager clone as Yeungling used to be our garage beer

I agree to some degree, and call this blasphemy, but I like the big bold flavors of IPA's, Stouts. I've tried [tasted, not brewed] several "classic styles" and will brew a Helles or hefeweizen or even a Pilsner this winter when we try our first Lager. But my heart (for now) belongs to the bold beers. In fact, we are planing on brewing a Yuengling Lager clone as Yeungling used to be our garage beer
Nothing wrong with that! I like a good English IPA from time to time (as in last night).

because i can do better , will brew it again for sure but i want every batch better than the last so that's how i test myself
Up for summer drinking program is a Vienna Lager , a Kolsch and a Red Rye session IPA i'm playing with but yet to brew

Ditto that, Mark. To me, the Blonde was a bit too sweet. I'll bump the IBUs by about 3, the threshold where humans can tell the difference in bitterness in beer, and see what I get in a small batch. I keep testing ideas on the Helles, learning from it, applying it to other beers....

Another win Nosy ,well done mate ( and the missus too )
Yet to do a wine , sourcing quality grapes locally is easy enough since im in the wine capital of Australia anyway

Yes Congrats Nosy

Another win Nosy ,well done mate ( and the missus too )
Yet to do a wine , sourcing quality grapes locally is easy enough since im in the wine capital of Australia anyway
I just got a note back from a supplier out west, in Palisade, Colorado. I was looking for some Lemberger and some Primitivo. Turns out the Lemberger was committed already, I can get some Primitivo but will have to find a way to press it. Not the best of situations since I live about 300km (let's hear it for the squirrels) from the winery. Wine's a lot easier in one respect, it doesn't require a brew day. But you have to press it. If I can get the grapes, our LHBS rents a destemmer and a press so we could likely get it processed. Will have to see.

I just got a note back from a supplier out west, in Palisade, Colorado. I was looking for some Lemberger and some Primitivo. Turns out the Lemberger was committed already, I can get some Primitivo but will have to find a way to press it. Not the best of situations since I live about 300km (let's hear it for the squirrels) from the winery. Wine's a lot easier in one respect, it doesn't require a brew day. But you have to press it. If I can get the grapes, our LHBS rents a destemmer and a press so we could likely get it processed. Will have to see.
What do you do about wild yeast? Use potassium metabisulphate then introduce your desired yeast?

Any water treatment like calcium sulphate?

What do you do about wild yeast? Use potassium metabisulphate then introduce your desired yeast?

Any water treatment like calcium sulphate?
Meta before pitch. No water added, at least not to juice. We use tap water for concentrate. Will start using RO once I get the filter.

Back