Show us your Homebrew!

Was just gripeing about cleaning it just yesterday!:p sorta like brewing owning a pool it seems your cleaning it twice as much as using it...

A number of years ago we bought a house with a fairly large in-ground pool. About 35,000 gallons, I got so tired of cleaning it and the price of chemicals and power for the filter and pool sweeper that I had it filled in and it became a great gopher proof garden. If I want to take a swim now, I just go to a nearby river or lake :)

A number of years ago we bought a house with a fairly large in-ground pool. About 35,000 gallons, I got so tired of cleaning it and the price of chemicals and power for the filter and pool sweeper that I had it filled in and it became a great gopher proof garden. If I want to take a swim now, I just go to a nearby river or lake :)
Yep it gets like that! 35000 gallons that's a woppa sure makes a big garden though!:) I think turning over the pool pump making chlorine is the biggest expence and now that I'm using electric brewing I'm eyeing off a good solar system to offset the cost.

Not Likely :) The only time the pool was brite was after I spent several hours doing the routine maintenance. This was out in the boonies and we were surrounded by pasture land that would not have produced any grains you'd want to brew with either. With 115+ Summer temps and a bunch of dirt roads around I can't help but question the idiot that decided a pool was a good idea.

Hehe. Miriam and I were just talking about that. We had pasture on 2 sided of us and had plenty of cattle coming through fences and grazing on our land. We agreed that they never frequented our place until after the pool was filled in. Too bad we couldn't have trained the cattle to come over an graze when we needed the help. Would have saved a bundle on fuel as well as wear & tear on the tractor :)

Yep all the nitrogen and phosphorus would of played havoc with algae in your pool. That's one thing the pool people tell me is keep vegetation away from pool it'll cause it to turn green.

20190119_110734.jpg

Hazy Pale Ale. 5.5%. Comet and Azacca.

Ooooh, I love the looks of that. Care to give the recipe for the "Recipe of of the Month" for the newsletter?
I can try. It was more of a work of art though.
Cascade Sippin Cider (~7.8% ABV)
- cut 3/4”x3/4”x5” oak staves from a used bourbon barrel stave. Roast @ 375*f for ~2 hours. Char with torch. Rinse and stuff in a quart jars and soak in 100 proof bourbon until staves sink. When adding staves to cider, add a little of the blackened bourbon.
- 5 gal 1.050 OG juice from fresh pressed cider apples with 5 crushed campden tablets, let sit for a couple days
- kick 1.050 OG to 1.055 with equal parts of white sugar and brown sugar, oxygenate and add .5 tsp of yeast nutrient, pitch EC 1118 yeast and primary ferment for 2 weeks
- rack to secondary @<1.000 SG, add ~8 bourbon soaked oak staves for 1 month
- rack to keg, cool to 35*f, carbonate @ 8 psi, add ~8 bourbon oak staves for 1 month
- add ~8 more bourbon oak staves for about three weeks (or longer)
- rack to keg
- add a little vanilla extract and 4 oz brown sugar to back sweeten.
- sip, sip, sip and enjoy!

Last edited:
Black IPA
7.1%
94 IBU's
30 SRM
Warrior for bittering
Cascade, Chinook, Simcoe flavor, and aroma hops
It's so damn good it deserved to be enjoyed with a wee dram of the lovely 16 year old Lagavulin Islay (pronounced eye law for those that don't know)
IMG_20190123_2107454.jpg

Just to top it off tonight my beloved Maple Leafs are taking care of bidnit against Ovie and Company!
Go Leafs Go

Black IPA
7.1%
94 IBU's
30 SRM
Warrior for bittering
Cascade, Chinook, Simcoe flavor, and aroma hops
It's so damn good it deserved to be enjoyed with a wee dram of the lovely 16 year old Lagavulin Islay (pronounced eye law for those that don't know)
View attachment 4951
Thanks for the edumacation:).

Back