Show me your gardening Progress

Beer trap = Burying a container (jar) filled with beer in the ground so that the lip of the jar is at ground level.

Slugs are attracted to the yeast and fermented beer and drop in and drown.

Harvested garlic today.
I Planted late and crowded with mostly dried up cloves in a small (8 sq. ft) patch. Didn't cover them up when we hit -15° last winter, didn't water or weed them and still just pulled out 153 heads! Most are small, but there are some nice size ones in there as well. Certainly enough for a year in our house.
PXL_20230717_190042647.jpg
PXL_20230717_185613589.jpg

A crazed runaway weed wip slashed the life out of one of my really nice hop vines yesterday.

Not sure exactly what (a beetle of some kind), but those black things are its eggs. Depending on your tolerance fir pesticides, some (liquid) sevin, bonide eight, or some BT will help.

Horse fly off Deer fly eggs!

image.jpg
First pick of Sun Gold tomatoes from our yard, with lots more to come. We also have San Marzanos hanging.
Also picked arugula, mesclun lettuce and spinach. More carrots are ready for pulling, and there are new seedlings of each. Three varieties of pepper are thriving, butternut and zucchini squashes are growing, 4 more potato plants are getting ready for harvest.
Wow, this is our first ever year of gardening for the kitchen, and we’re doing well!

Last edited:
View attachment 26139 First pick of Sun Gold tomatoes from our yard, with lots more to come. We also have San Marzanos hanging.
Also picked arugula, mesclun lettuce and spinach. More carrots are ready for pulling, and there are new seedlings of each. Three varieties of pepper are thriving, butternut and zucchini squashes are growing, 4 more potato plants are getting ready for harvest.
Wow, this is our first ever year of gardening for the kitchen, and we’re doing well!
The splits are caused by over-watering after they've reached max size and started to ripen. Best to pick them a little earlier than have them split like that.

The splits are caused by over-watering after they've reached max size and started to ripen. Best to pick them a little earlier than have them split like that.
They only split after they were picked. Most of those fruits came from a single cluster. Interesting thought about over watering. We give our tomatoes water only once a week, and they are growing gang busters.

My tomatoes also split if we get a big rain same thing I suppose.

@The Brew Mentor best way to get children eating vegetables is take em out into the garden and let them eat em right off the vine!

I had a tiny cherry tommatoe plant growing out the front of my house this year which threw hundreds of these tomatoes not much bigger than a pea my daughter loved them.

My tomatoes also split if we get a big rain same thing I suppose.

@The Brew Mentor best way to get children eating vegetables is take em out into the garden and let them eat em right off the vine!

I had a tiny cherry tommatoe plant growing out the front of my house this year which threw hundreds of these tomatoes not much bigger than a pea my daughter loved them.
It is exactly the same. If we know a heavy rain is coming, we pick everything that shows a little color. I still have flashbacks of rotted pumpkins and watermelon if a tropical storm came through and soaked us. We didn’t grow many in the big scheme of things, but enough to stink up the whole garden if they split.

My little tomatoes are fine, some of the best I’ve ever tasted. In the case of splitting, that happened only after the little stem was broken from the fruit. The fruits came off the vine with the little stems still connected. So in other words, these are not splitting on the vine.

Yep, you have to get those cherry tomatoes as soon as they start to show any color or even if they don't split, they will right after harvesting them

My little tomatoes are fine, some of the best I’ve ever tasted. In the case of splitting, that happened only after the little stem was broken from the fruit. The fruits came off the vine with the little stems still connected. So in other words, these are not splitting on the vine.
Leave’em on until you use the fruit. The hydroponic pressure was already there. Pulling the stems probably made microscopic tears in the skin that let it split. When they get ripe enough, the stems will fall off with a touch on most varieties.

Back