Show me your Fermenter, what do you like, what don't you like

I made this contraption to use my corney keg as a fermenter.
Corneys can take an enormous amount of pressure and with a little cutting on the outflow tube, the trub can be left in the bottom of the corney.
Just transfer the fermented beer to a fresh corney and hook it up to the kegerator.
Just sayin'.

Corney Fermenter.JPG

Easy peasy!

I have two 30L Speidels, and I like them a lot. Now that I have gone back to 5 gallon batches (from 10), I really only use one at a time.
Pros
Safe (not glass)
Light weight
Lots of headspace
Easy to clean
Nice spigot arrangement
Great lid system
Great handles for lifting
Cons
Not great for yeast collection
Not completely clear (not a big deal)
I don't think that they are suitable for pressure fermenting

The reason for the thread is that I am thinking about upgrading, but I don't think that there is a reasonably priced unit that can check all of the boxes

Pressure Ferment
Yeast Collection (like a dump valve, or collection ball)
Clear (not critical)
Lots of headspace

Looking for a good compromise.
I have a friend with a 27L Fermzilla, he said while he likes it, he wouldn't recommend it. Leaks, replaced the vessel itself after about 6 months due to some stress cracking around the neck (he got a free replacement, but how long will it last?)
View attachment 12226
Have no idea about quality, but this is interesting (although currently sold out): https://minibrew.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/8-gallon-conical-fermenter-8-the-great

I made this contraption to use my corney keg as a fermenter.
Corneys can take an enormous amount of pressure and with a little cutting on the outflow tube, the trub can be left in the bottom of the corney.
Just transfer the fermented beer to a fresh corney and hook it up to the kegerator.
Just sayin'.

View attachment 12268

Easy peasy!
Thanks Fizz!
I like to end up with 5 gallons packaged. I lose a half gallon to trub, and yet more to dry hop sediment.
Fermenting in a corny keg would reduce my end batch size, but this is an idea to consider, thanks!

Interesting product, I have never heard of these before, thanks for sharing!
I thought about buying one a few years back but with the legs on the stand so tall, I can't get it into my refrigerator. It might fit the upright freezer but I'm trading that to my wife for the chest freezer to build a keezer.

Fermentasaurus here youve seen plenty of it in my posts. I went for this over the Zilla because it was not as tall but if I'd had the option to buy the all rounder I woulda. If I want to collect yeast from vessal it's similar to what Bob does swirl and decant into cleaned jar.

Con small opening compared to the all rounder.
Pros dont need to lift any kegs into chest height keezer pressure transfers are underrated:).

Good luck Craig.

If I had the coin I'd get a 30lt kegmenter it's pretty much a commercial keg with floating dip tube and I think a 4inch triclover lid.

Back