Shipping beer from Europe

winobob

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Let me just start by saying I don't know if this is a sensitive or inappropriate topic. If so, just delete it, I won't take offence :)

So here's the deal: I have a good friend in Pennsylvania who I haven't seen in a long while, and I wanted to send him a couple of my brews as a gift. No matter how much I google it, I can't really figure out if it's even legal. All of the info I find seem aimed at wine makers and professional brewers wanting to export to the States, which is not the case here. I want to send him 6-8 bottles of beer.

The customs rules for sending beer from outside the EU to Sweden are pretty clear: if it's a gift and the total value is below $50, it's fine. Is there som similar 'gift' system in the U.S? Or I should say Pennsylvania, as I understand all states have different legislation when it comes to alcohol.

Any feedback most appreciated.

Cheers!

My understanding is that it is not legal, without a shipper’s license. For example, a beer store/wine store may be able to ship to customers with the proper tax and licensing. Even within the US, it’s not actually legal to mail beer at all to anywhere. It’s legal with shippers like UPS, but it’s not allowed. I get wine from wine.com shipped to me in Michigan and Florida- but there are some states where they can’t legally ship as well.

All that to say that it’s probably not legal at all, but I really haven’t the proof!

Another data point: US Customs allows 1 liter of alcoholic beverage per adult citizen duty-free.

At least, that was the law when I used to travel from Europe home to the United States more than five years ago. It didn't matter whether it was pure alcohol or week beer, 1 L was it.

That being said, what's in the package probably won't ever be discovered. Unless it breaks, of course.

Wrap it well and package it securely, put no return address on it and hope for the best?

Wrap it well and package it securely, put no return address on it and hope for the best?
Even if there is a return address on it, what are they going to do? ;)
Here is some info: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-190?language=en_US
The worst that can happen is they will confiscate it. The best is, it will slip through (you do / don't declare it, and they don't notice and / or they don't care)
Most likely, they will charge the recipient some sort of tax(es) (i.e. https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/pennsylvania/alcohol)
I don't have any experience from the EU to the US, but I do from the US to the EU. It wasn't alcohol, but I got hit pretty hard taxwise for "importing" a pair of climbing shoes once.....and had to personally pick up some vitamin pills another time, because they weren't sure what they were. :D

You can always do like we do internally and label them as yeast samples with a value of $10 or something. I bought a legit yeast sample of Kveik from Norway without issue once.

How about shipping the other way? It would be cool to ship them to Europe for local homebrewing competitions.

How about shipping the other way?
At least for Sweden the OP already answered that in the very first post. ;)
...and here in Germany it would be similar, they wouldn't bat an eye at a six-pack or so.

From https://www.zoll.de/DE/Privatperson...ern/Reisefreimengen/reisefreimengen_node.html:
  1. Alkohol und alkoholhaltige Getränke, wenn der Einführer mindestens 17 Jahre alt ist:
    • 1 Liter Spirituosen mit einem Alkoholgehalt von mehr als 22 Volumenprozent oder unvergällter Ethylalkohol mit einem Alkoholgehalt von 80 Volumenprozent oder mehr oder
    • 2 Liter Alkohol und alkoholische Getränke mit einem Alkoholgehalt von höchstens 22 Volumenprozent oder
    • eine anteilige Zusammenstellung dieser Waren und
    • 4 Liter nicht schäumende Weine und
    • 16 Liter Bier
...in other words, 7-8 six-packs, depending on bottle size. :D (tidbit for those who can't read German, it isn't just liquor OR beer OR wine, but rather AND! Meanig you can bring in 1L of cask strengthwiskey + 4L of wine + 16(!)L of beer = 18kg just in liquid....which, adding packaging is about the max you are even allowed to carry in luggage + carry-on)
The rules apply to travelers entering Germany, but afaik receiving a package is treated as if the recipient was entering the country carrying the contents.

Last edited:

Back