Settings for BIAB in Water Calculator

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Roget, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Roget

Roget New Member

Could someone please guide me as to which settings needed in water calculator if doing BIAB.

2. White Haus Brews

White Haus Brews Active Member

Nurse
    Fill out your equipment with anything you know now (boil off rate and grain absorption will likely be your big 2). If you don't know just use the default and update it once you know your system better.

3. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

As White Haus mentions, getting that equipment profile as good as you can get at the moment is the most important first step.

Once you've done that use the quick water requirements in the receipe tools to get your expected total mash water needed. Then you add infusion and sparge steps to the mashing section so that they add up to that total mash water needed.

I do full volume mashing so I just add the single infusion step 90% of the time (occasionally I'll add a second temperature step with no water). If you batch sparge and do a single temperature mash that's just the two mash steps of infusion and sparge. Those steps add up to the total mash water needed.

Once you've got got your infusion and sparge steps in the mashing section you can click the edit button in the water calculator section and it should transfer over those volumes so you can use them in the calculator (as well as the grist info).