Setting up BIAB in Brewer’s friend?

William257

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello I am setting up my equipment profile in Brewer’s Friend an I came across where it say Default Mash Thickness. Well I forgot to say I am setting this up for BIAB. So what do I enter into the Default Mash Thickness for setting this up for BIAB set up?

if your using the bib in the recipe, it always defaults to full water and mash thickness is not needed because you won’t be mashing thin and sparging, if you do sparge just use the all grain drop down on the recipe editor not bib, just to be safe set that to 1.75

There's sections in the equipment profile that you fill in because we all fill in more than we shoudl. That one of the one's you'll never use.

Though it does come up when you use the brew sessions. It's the default, but just choose the volume radio button there and roll your eyes as you reflect on the hegemony of three vessel system.

Mash thickness is whatever you want it to be. For BIAB, some people use all the water they need in the mash. Some people, like myself, use less than full volume mash and do a sparge at the end. I normally set my thickness to 2 qt/Ib and use morebeer's sparge water calculator to calculate my mash and sparge quantities.

Back