Say ya to da UP, eh?

Learn something new every day ... I stumbled on this podcast interview today and learned that the name is Lor-EE-na, not Lor-AY-na. Dat's da way dey say it in da UP, eh?
https://www.homebrewhappyhour.com/an-interview-with-lorena-evans-from-brewersfriend-com-hhh-ep-098/

No, most people in the UP get it wrong too. :)

Believe it or not, Lorena was very common name in the civil war era. I was named after my aunt, who was named after HER aunt, who was named after her aunt, etc, etc. My brother had only boys, so I’m the last one in the family with the name.

The other family name is Emily. That was my mom’s name, and so my cousin’s daughter is named…..Emily. That of course is HER aunt’s name.

(My mom’s family is from New Orleans originally).

So how do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky?

I'm sure I say Frank-Furt wrong. But I've been told by Kentucky people that I pronounce Louisville wrong also. Lou-ee-ville instead of Lou-uh-vul

But also, I'm originally a St. Louisan who's been in New Orleans for 10 years now, so my conception of words and names is really messed up. There is a whole stack of words down here that New Orleans people pronounce completely wrong compared to other parts of the world.

As for New Orleans. It's New Or-Lins. Unless you're talking about Orleans Parish, then it's Or-leens.
Burgundy - Burr-Gun-dee, emphasis on the Gun syllable
Milan - My-Lan,
Calliope - I say Cuh-Lye-Oh-Pee, most people say Cal-ee-ope
Chartres - Chart-Ers,
Carondelet - Cuh-ron-duh-let, hard T sound on the end
Audubon - Aw-duh-BIN, like a waste bin, not the German way.

And we have more ridiculous words too like Tchoupitoulas, Pontchartrain, Lagniappe, Vieux Carre, Faubourg, Dryades, Freret, Millaudon, Prytania, Marigny, Treme, Bywater, Terpsichore, Tchefuncte,

There are people in New Orleans who can't spell Tchoupitoulas. Obvious transplants.

Lol...then there's Hawaiian....a spoken language that northern European missionaries (? Is that the right plural form?) created a written form for that's pretty easy to pronounce but sounds completely different when heard from a native speaker v my southern Jersey public school ears!

Back