Saving yeast slurry

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Frankenbrewer, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Frankenbrewer

Frankenbrewer Well-Known Member

I want to redeem myself on brewing the Oatmeal Stout but I want to use the slurry in the fermenter but next weekend. My plan is to package the 1st experiment, leave some beer on the yeast and put it in the fridge until next Saturday. Is this viable?

Herm_brews and Hawkbox like this.
  2. Josh Hughes

Josh Hughes Well-Known Member

Teacher
    I pour into a sanitized Jar and pop in the fridge. Get it out when I start brew day and pitch as usual. What you have left after packaging will be fine. Don’t leave beer on purpose because one it settles there will be beer on top.

Ward Chillington and Hawkbox like this.
  3. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    I've brewed with slurry 4 months old without issue, just get a bunch of it in a jar like Josh said.

4. Ward Chillington

Ward Chillington Well-Known Member

I'm on my 2nd batch of kveik slurry. Like Josh, I sterilized a quart Mason jar and lid, dumped the slurry from my brown ale after swirling it around to loosen the cake and get things homogenized, screwed on the lid and popped it in the fridge. It settled out to about a pint of slurry under the beer. I used it about 3 weeks later by dumping off the beer and dumping the slurry at around 75°F. The stout I made with it is in the conditioner after hitting all the numbers and tasted great. The slurry from that batch is sitting in the fridge taking a nap next to its older cousin.

Herm_brews likes this.
  5. west1m

west1m Active Member

I do the same with 05 using an 8 ounce jar, on my 6th of 7th save. Works perfect every time.