Sanitizing solution expiration.

Greta's Brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knows how long a Star San solution lasts once it has been made. Can I make a large stock of it and just keep on using it or should I make fresh each time I brew. I tried the Star San website and it did not say much about the subject.

I usually make a 5 gallon batch every three months or so when I run out.
It seems to work fine for me. I keep it in an Igloo 5 gallon drink dispenser.

Use distilled or RO and you should be good to go. Lots of threads state if it turns cloudy to toss it, and this is generally a product of using straight tap water.

I had read on other forums that if it's clear and it makes bubbles when you shake it, it's okay to use. I figure it's cheaper to make a new batch than ruin a batch of beer, though.

I second using distilled. I have gone 2 months no problem before, but cheaper insurance to make a new gallon every brew session.

Using distilled water it essentially never goes bad.

Star san will continue to be effective if the acid level is within the effective range. PH above 3.5 and it stops working. Mix it properly with the correct dilution and it will last a long time. Now, over dilution will change the PH, and if you put soiled equipment in it and it gets dirty, who knows? But for the most part it will last a long time (months?). I have herd the "cloudy is bad" stuff, but in reality if the acid level is correct it will work.

Quote from Charlie Talley, a Five Star big shot:

" Star-San is an “acid rinse” when measured at 1oz. per 5 gallons of water. Its chemical composition is a typical soap, like that found in tooth paste called DDBSA (dodecylbenzyl sulfonic acid) + food grade phosphoric acid. It stops working when the pH gets above 3.5 and so if diluted in wort acts as a yeast nutrient/food. Star-San will “last forever” if RO or distilled water is used to mix it and it stays enclosed like in a spray bottle, but it lasts a long time anyway and can be used multiple times or up to about 3 months. The product will turn opaque in iron or manganese rich water. Star-San has a contact time of 3 minutes (EPA) or 30 seconds per Charlie. If plastic soaked in Star-San becomes cloudy, soak in PBW to turn the plated soap (film on the plastic) back into the detergent it is supposed to be. The remaining foam after use is ok and has no detrimental effects on your beer, such as head retention. Charlie recommends 30 seconds to 1 minute soak for copper and aluminum, and says they should never be left to soak any longer than 3-4 hours. In other words don’t soak overnight, it only hurts not helps. Star-San is different as a sanitizer than Iodine and bleach, because both of those contain halogens which are called “blind sanitizers.” These halogens will not kill in the presence of sugar and actually attack the sugar first before going after any bacteria. On an end note for this wonderful sanitizer, it will clear up toe-jam.'

I keep a five gallon bucket half full, and keep it for months. I cover the bucket with a cheap plastic shower cap (dollar store special) to prevent small stuff from falling in. Star san is a sanitizer, not magic. One time I noticed that the shower cap had mildew growing on the inside surface. Just because it was "near" the sanitizer doesn't make it sanitized. The plastic obviously had some contact with wort, and the humid air of the bucket stimulated growth. lesson learned. Now I sanitize the shower cap before covering.

when my keg is empty I keep some StarSan in it, run it though the hose and tap when I am ready to put beer in the keg, empty the keg, put some C02 in it and rack the beer into the keg.
sooo is keeping StarSan in the Keg for almost a month good or bad?

its fine, smell it if its sour, or smalls bad , clean and do a fresh starsan

Back