Sanitiser contribution to oxidation

So I purged @20psi for about 5 minutes. gas coming out had a "co2 smell"

Now doing my first pressure transfer. 2-3psiView attachment 28216
Are you controlling temp with a glycol system there? Couldn't your fermenter also serve as a Brite tank? Could glycol drop the temp down to near freezing?

Are you controlling temp with a glycol system there? Couldn't your fermenter also serve as a Brite tank? Could glycol drop the temp down to near freezing?
it does. I guess it kinda acts as a brite tank to some degree. it will hold at 36F pretty easy this time of year.(in the summer the basement is like 75F and hard to keep that cold.) I use biofine and cold to crash the beer and get it clear. but the filter still helps to keep out the gunk at the end of the transfer.

it does. I guess it kinda acts as a brite tank to some degree. it will hold at 36F pretty easy this time of year.(in the summer the basement is like 75F and hard to keep that cold.) I use biofine and cold to crash the beer and get it clear. but the filter still helps to keep out the gunk at the end of the transfer.
Ya, I see you are taking beer from down low so you will be getting some debris in there

Ya, I see you are taking beer from down low so you will be getting some debris in there
there is a racking arm inside that draws from middle. but it still gets gunk right at the end.

Hey another o2 free type fermentation aid is fermenting and serving from the same vessel.

Any residual o2 is scrubbed by the yeast.
No transferring so no o2 pickup.
And on the cold crash no suckback and plus side is spunded to gain a little more co2 absorbtion before carbonation.

I've been doing this a bit of late.

I love how easy it is!

And I know I'm not the only one on here doing this...
This is probably what I'll be doing for all beers now. The wife seems to react badly to sulfates/sulfites so I'm not keen to go the metabisulfite route. But maybe I don't change my purging practice, but use keg conditioning. I could even use an abbreviated conditioning process for hazies so they're in the cold much earlier.

This is probably what I'll be doing for all beers now. The wife seems to react badly to sulfates/sulfites so I'm not keen to go the metabisulfite route. But maybe I don't change my purging practice, but use keg conditioning. I could even use an abbreviated conditioning process for hazies so they're in the cold much earlier.
Yeah man ditch the sulphites if that's causing issues. I'm pretty sure sulphites arnt allowed at the pro brewer side but being homebrewers allows for its use.

@Bigbre04 is this right?

Last edited:
I must add just listening to latest brulab pody on yeast management and they validated the above method of just using fermentation gas to purge recieving keg having a good PPM oxygen threshold...

Yeah man ditch the sulphites if that's causing issues. I'm pretty sure sulphites arnt allowed at the pro brewer side but being homebrewers allows for its use.

@Bigbre04 is this right?
We can use them if we want, I dont think that most breweries use them though as our process has a lot less O2 pickup as a general rule. I have only used them to inhibit growth in beers that were coming out of whiskey barrels into the packaging line. I personally HATE sulphites in all applications, especially in dried fruit.

Also purging is mandatory for any transfers to brites. Everything gets purged including the port as you hook it up, you crack the valve open and bleed some residual co2 into the connection to remove the o2.

This is my homemade spare system. It works alright, but I might remake it with those little plastic spreader doodads maybe 3 or 4 of them hanging down closer to the bed?

Attachments

• 20240201_090219.jpg
    20240201_090219.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240201_090207.jpg
    20240201_090207.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 11

Back