"salts added to mash only"

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by oliver, Jan 5, 2018.

1. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

LHBS owner
    I noticed tonight when building water in the advanced calculator, built from my recipe, that there's a button that says "salts added to mash only." So when I checked that box, the ion counts in the calculator went way down from normal.

I normally only add salts to my DI water before the grains, and then I don't add more the rest of the brewing day.

Do I want to be checking that box and calculating as such? Or should I leave that alone and calculate like I have been?

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

If you're only treating the mash water with salts you should check it. If not, it assumes you're treating the entire volume of water.

3. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

LHBS owner
    yeah I'm just treating my strike water (mash water), I don't add anything to my sparge water.

I'm also curious, the extra salts I need in the mash are compensation for an additional amount of untreated water? yes?

I haven't been doing it that way in the past, and I like the way my beers are turning out... Hm.

4. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Ive been adding salts pretty much the same way I add all my salts to the mash water but i do draw a few liters off from the main kettle for my sparge untill i reach my mash in volume. My sparhe volume is pretty small 5 lt so not a great difference.

5. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Yes. More water means more salt to reach the required concentration. That's what ppm or mg/l is measuring, the concentration of salt, not the amount.

6. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I check that box because I only add salts to the mash not the water, I actually just put it on the dry grain before adding strike water and I add different acid amounts to the mash then the sparge also