"salts added to mash only"

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed tonight when building water in the advanced calculator, built from my recipe, that there's a button that says "salts added to mash only." So when I checked that box, the ion counts in the calculator went way down from normal.

I normally only add salts to my DI water before the grains, and then I don't add more the rest of the brewing day.

Do I want to be checking that box and calculating as such? Or should I leave that alone and calculate like I have been?

If you're only treating the mash water with salts you should check it. If not, it assumes you're treating the entire volume of water.

If you're only treating the mash water with salts you should check it. If not, it assumes you're treating the entire volume of water.
yeah I'm just treating my strike water (mash water), I don't add anything to my sparge water.

I'm also curious, the extra salts I need in the mash are compensation for an additional amount of untreated water? yes?

I haven't been doing it that way in the past, and I like the way my beers are turning out... Hm.

yeah I'm just treating my strike water (mash water), I don't add anything to my sparge water.

I'm also curious, the extra salts I need in the mash are compensation for an additional amount of untreated water? yes?

I haven't been doing it that way in the past, and I like the way my beers are turning out... Hm.

Ive been adding salts pretty much the same way I add all my salts to the mash water but i do draw a few liters off from the main kettle for my sparge untill i reach my mash in volume. My sparhe volume is pretty small 5 lt so not a great difference.

Yes. More water means more salt to reach the required concentration. That's what ppm or mg/l is measuring, the concentration of salt, not the amount.

I check that box because I only add salts to the mash not the water, I actually just put it on the dry grain before adding strike water and I add different acid amounts to the mash then the sparge also

Back