saison

windy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Further to my previous post , could I leave the pitching of the yeast to the next day, after boiling the wort as I have great difficulty cooling the wort down quickly , as the water temperture is never cold here in thailand .
regards
windy

Further to my previous post , could I leave the pitching of the yeast to the next day, after boiling the wort as I have great difficulty cooling the wort down quickly , as the water temperture is never cold here in thailand .
regards
windy
No chill method would work for you leave it in your kettle seal it up good straight at flame out or end of boil. Rack into fermenter next day.
I do this regularly.

I may have to go for this again, but I go half way.
I cool down as much as I can, then leave it to stand till it cools.
No adjustments needed to the amount of hop as initial cooling is quite fast

Last couple of brews, I aimed for a higher gravity. Then cooled as far as it would go and final cooling was done with cold water. Adding it into the wort to bring gravity down to were I wanted it to be
Maybe that's something to look at?
Or use ice blocks or cubed (UV treated or made from boiled water)?

I'm lucky enough to have a wort chiller, but even then, with our water, I can't get much below 80F to pitch. If you can get a controller with a refrigerator or chest freezer and the fermenter is sealed, you can probably let it sit overnight at around 68F/20C. Per your other post, I let everything go 14 days in the fermenter before I bottle. I made a Saison with French Saison yeast, and it fermented down to 1.002 (not a typo). After you bottle and after the 14 - day carbonation period, let that thing age for another week or two. It will taste better.

regards
windy
Good question. Yeast pitching temperature is an important factor to ensure good attenuation and high quality fermentation. If it is not cold enough the yeast may not be fully activated and may produce unwanted off flavours. On the other hand if the temperature is too cold, the yeast may go dormant or die. This can be a problem in cold climates where water is not cold or for people who just don't want to cool the wort quickly.

Back