Saison recipe for feedback please.

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Markok, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Markok

Markok Member

Hello fellow brewers. I know it’s late in the season to start a Saison, especially one that calls for Brett which will require 6 months in the fermenter however, I’m going to give it a go nonetheless. The pdf that I hope is attached is a recipe I found on the White labs web site. It calls for WLP565 Saison I Ale Yeast initially then WLP653 Brettanomyces Lambicus once the gravity falls to 1.010. Does this sound worthy of the time and effort? I just love the funk of Brett.

Attached Files:

2. Bubba Wade

Bubba Wade Well-Known Member

Controls & Instrumentation Engineer
    Home Page:
    #2 Bubba Wade, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    I make saisons quite regularly. The one thing I don't see in the recipe is corn or sugar. These are usually added to lighten the beer up a bit and lower the FG. I see this recipe has an FG of 1.010. I usually see saisons with an FG of 1.004 to 1.006.

This looks like a well-designed recipe, though, and should be pretty good. I have not used in a saison style. I usually see it in sour style ales.

I will also not that I am not patient enough to age a beer for 6 months. I'm ready to drink it after 4 or 5 weeks.

Markok, AGbrewer and Megary like this.
  3. Markok

Markok Member

Thanks Bubba. I’ll probably take your advice and add some table sugar at high Krausen. I did notice that the FG is estimated at 1.005. It’s just that the Brett is added at 1.010.

4. Bubba Wade

Bubba Wade Well-Known Member

Controls & Instrumentation Engineer
    Home Page:
    The type of sugar can add subtleties in the flavor. Many recipes call for dark Belgian sugar. I have used Louisiana ribbon cane syrup and that adds a very nice flavor.

Markok likes this.
  5. Markok

Markok Member

I see the BJCP SRM accepted range for this style is 5 to 14. I would guess since 14 is pretty dark, the dark candy sugar wouldn’t exceed this color. When I think of this style, very light colors come to mind.

6. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

Looks perfectly acceptable. I try to keep a mixed culture saison on hand. I brew one of either a 4% or 6.5% version each 6 months. It lasts at least 12 months. I age them in bottles and it improves for 4-6 months. After that it may get better, but it's not as noticeable.

I don't use sugar but I'll mash for 90-120 minutes to dry it out. I don't do a primary/secondary approach. All the yeast goes in at primary (it's a harvest from commercial bottles so I couldn't split even if I wanted to). It'll stay in the fermentor until it gets to around 85% attenuation, around 4-6 weeks, then I'll bottle. With the brett there's some risk with this approach, so you'll want heavy bottles. Haven't had any gushers yet and with a few more batches under my belt I'm getting a good idea of the final attenuation, so the bottling sugar is getting easier to predict.

Pricelessbrewing likes this.