Saflager s-23 experiences

Brewer #334545

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I don’t normally use dry yeast, I was at my LHBS and seen “dry lager yeast” on the package and interpreted a bit different.
Anyways after reading up a bit it seems like this strain is a bit controversial. Xbeeriment showed it was as neutral as 34/70 however I can find numerous horror stories.

I brewed a dark lager and pitched at 52F while I do have temperature control, my basement is sitting around 55 so I’m just keeping it in the cold cement floor.
anyone with experience know what to expect?
People who claim it’s fruity can you specify what kind of flavours it gives?
Thanks.

I know a lot of people swear it's a good yeast. I personally hate that yeast. I have brewed with it at different temperatures and always got a "Juicy Fruit gum" flavor from it. I tried it under pressure and that was the worst yet. It wasn't fruity, but it had a really strong metallic flavor. Yuck.

34/70 is a great yeast and the Brulosophy Xbeeriment ended as they all do, no significant difference. I don't buy it. There are other dry yeast out there as well, Diamond Dry lager yeast and S-189 are other yeasts to try. I really like 34/70. It is exceptional clean when fermented @48 under 4-5 PSI. At 52F (ambient pressure) it will produce a very subtle lemon grass note, in a darker beer it may not be noticeable. Adding a little pressure when fermenting will reduce or eliminate that flavor.

This is sort of a love/hate yeast. I myself detect a low tutti-fruitti thing from it which distracts in a lager where you want it to be super clean. But many people don't seem to be able to detect this character? Or it doesn't show up for them? It is not crazy or in your face, it's a subtle fruitiness that I wouldn't mind if I wasn't aiming for a lager.

I probably won't use it again, because just about any other lager yeast is better than S-23. My current go-to lager yeasts include Diamond, S-189, and WLP833 (in no particular order). These are all outstanding.

alright thanks guys this was the info i was looking for.
i am also currently giving 34/70 a redemption run. The last time i used it i had some flaked barley and chit, got a green apple note to it.
ive always had good success with wlp 800 and 830, but the whole starter and decanting would be nice to eliminate if possible.

I didn't get the fruity flavor from it the other time I used it. Currently I have a Dunkel bock fermenting with it and S-189. I think that any fruitiness it might throw will be lost in the maltiness of the grainbill.

I didn't get the fruity flavor from it the other time I used it. Currently I have a Dunkel bock fermenting with it and S-189. I think that any fruitiness it might throw will be lost in the maltiness of the grainbill.
lets hope your right.
my grain bill was
11lbs Golden Promise
1 lb Golden Naked Oated
1 lb coffee malt

Attachments

• 269718505_654272129095158_5176815741527369527_n.jpg
    269718505_654272129095158_5176815741527369527_n.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 41
I don't ferment with it much but the times I have it's done a great job.
One batch that comes to mind was a low ABV international lager that thing was clean and crisp but hey maybe my pallet doesn't detect tutti fruity.

Back