Safe sour?

I'm a little underwhelmed by the Philly sour, it's not bad but I don't feel it got as sour as I wanted. I might try again with 2 packs instead of 1 but a 2 day brew isn't the end of the world.

I'm excited to brew it, bit it got pushed back until next week. I have 2 others I need to brew this week and can't work in 2 days without my BK.
I'll let you know how it progresses.
Cheers

I will be interested to hear how it goes. I think if I upped the fizz on it it would be a fantastic beer for people who don't like beer, but I wanted a sour with some real sour and am a bit disappointed.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the Philly sour, it's not bad but I don't feel it got as sour as I wanted. I might try again with 2 packs instead of 1 but a 2 day brew isn't the end of the world.

I've strictly used it for "mildly" sour beers. Berliners and Gose. It is definitely not a face pucker, sucking a lemon sour, but it also doesn't need fruiting to balance it like some lactic bombs.

kPzV1oQPvDd1uzn9UNK-KbG0zZpKEKDAUzNo-16XSUs3GUp42x-B5_EXSHPib2XE_FR5KbuS5glpbUp-L2AsuXVAhNOCxnVzdWuoDXymImh-V7Xhnc9MdjKJ2dXr0TWjmx4iArC6ySDMDp_8DAJ72V4-oFCSYI1ZP3y9lCsZx2KBNHMaqFn5mDdOlRgVvI5oTn3DODSkp8YQKqfnjsHjUpUfg5qyXJuSMWn5IqygbQyvAwUCaN2rkPXuLo6UbpHj4F0QcCjUWWbZBMz1GsMRBr2mCl0u5G34y0hX_qV_Nq_3m0goGoV9XGttoluHrJ4untI8zgHpmAktBIdBT_c61aM_NUyI3MKgjbii6BwF42M_plnFxNa7Xop1DgMi-TfD81Tn3jabcAMYNGuTLMi3TIvliybqjEmuDLAujDhFbnVw_VdouKU51FZM0OUPmNZjVqL5sh59qTzNZa6iue-Yazr-F45OcC0auUlD3JUBHPu8oxWTfgpJoqEm06IILVL1u8ewUA0MDPc0_cQckzG_Ign5LWZIw7I2xolIK7a_mzMgJsGBYINBxwmjyh3R0H89YJCp4QkkC0_9FnPlEx_G20iXMg8wMQlSfRZUBknzBj7N-TTMsdM6FeOsJ4r5_9X6a9HkSG6nzh8iVQcB5lvo5F5-H6jQa7ftR-gt8TnfJX7Y17EjpwJG6-Tltgo4zX1cGFuQIn9plCR6MYZNY-9Hqrg9=w493-h657-no

Finally got around to brewing it today.
i added a tri clamp port to the lid of my BK so I could easily blanket with co2!
Sitting @ 100° with the Philly Sour.
I bumped up the recipe to make it 6% at finish.
Cheers!
Brian

Mine ran out a couple days ago.

So I didn't have my ph meter when I started the sour on Tuesday, so I used ph strips to estimate the amount of acid added to get started with a target of 4.4
Evidently they were off, because when I checked it the next day with the meter, I was still at 4.45 after 24 hours.
17 hours later it was down to 3.6 and by the end of the day, it was at 3.46.
I let it go overnight again and by yesterday morning it was at 3.38.
At that point, I decided to go ahead and finish it because I was dropping gravity points and I didn't want to wait until today to brew it, so I brewed.
I ended with 3.38 pH and an OG of 1.046.
I'll most likely acidify a bit more after fermentation is complete but that will be a taste thing.
It's fermenting away with a big healthy pitch of Cali ale yeast at 65°
More updates later.
Cheers

That's roughly where mine goes and I don't try to acidify in advance when I kettle sour cause I'm lazy.

That's roughly where mine goes and I don't try to acidify in advance when I kettle sour cause I'm lazy.
I'm half lazy and half confident that my lacto pitch is pure and fast acting enough that I don't need to acidify. That also goes for the CO2 purging or clingfilm of the kettle which I only did the once. But then there's not much cost for us if we have to dump. I'm imagining Brian's batch size makes things a bit more important to avoid those sort of gambles.

Yeah if there is a serious volume involved it pays to be careful but for me 2 kegs worth if it goes wrong isn't much.

I brought it up to 68° yesterday as it was close to finishing.
I'll check gravity and check PH today and give it a try.
It was an extremely aggressive fermentation at 64-65°. More so than what I expected.
I need the fermentor, so I'll move it on Friday to make room for another beer.
Cheers

We'll it surprised me that the gravity was just under 1.019 as of yesterday afternoon. With how vigorous the fermentation was, I would have thought it would have been lower by then.
The PH dropped to 3.0 and the sample tasted good but the remaining sugars were really balancing the tartness, so we'll see how it tastes when I get finished, hopefully around 1.008
Cheers

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1166829
OK, I updated the notes on the recipe.
Just kegged @ 1.010 and 3.3 ph. ( Sorry, the above post ph must have been wrong? )
4.78% abv
I actually like the way it tastes going into the keg, nicely tart but not too sour.
I did a small infusion with strawberry / lemonade syrup and it's great!
Now to ramp up the carbonation level and we'll see how it goes.
Cheers!
Brian

The Sour has gotten nice comments, so I guess it will be a regular around here.
I brewed another one with a lower gravity, so going to the fermentor I was at 1.030 OG and a lower starting pH of 3.35.
I decided to make this a fruit sour and after 3 days added a mix of blueberries raspberries and blackberries.
With that and the additional sugar, it will end at 4.5% and I'm thinking about 3.27 pH.
Not sure if I'll add any lactose, but I doubt it.
I'll get a picture and tasting notes in a week or so.
Cheers!

The Sour has gotten nice comments, so I guess it will be a regular around here.
I brewed another one with a lower gravity, so going to the fermentor I was at 1.030 OG and a lower starting pH of 3.35.
I decided to make this a fruit sour and after 3 days added a mix of blueberries raspberries and blackberries.
With that and the additional sugar, it will end at 4.5% and I'm thinking about 3.27 pH.
Not sure if I'll add any lactose, but I doubt it.
I'll get a picture and tasting notes in a week or so.
Cheers!
Nice. See what the feedback is before you add the lactose. I bet you'll find it's not needed.

Nearly all of my sour or mixed ferment beers are trending to lower gravity. The people who enjoy them seem to like the flavours regardless of the amount of alcohol, with the lowest gravity beer being easily the most popular.

I'm the same, I'm aiming for the 3.5 or so range for everything I'm doing with sours. Makes them easier to have several.

I just opened the pack and dumped it in. It makes a comment about not reusing it as it's not a fast fermenter but I haven't tested that yet. I didn't notice anything interesting in fermentation. It finished around 1.007 which is pretty low compared to where I usually finish.
really? i plugged Philly Sour into a pretty basic recipe and i'm getting 1.015 FG estimate. maybe i'm doing something wrong.

I don't remember what it estimated, but it finished pretty low.

Back