Safale S-04 or Safale US-05 for a Mild Ale during Summer

Safale S-04 or Safale US-05 for a Mild Ale during Summer?

• Safale S-04

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Safale US-05

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Angelito

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I am making a Mild Ale today. I was going to use Safale S-04, however, I am a bit concern about the fermenting temperature. It is Summer and in my flat the temperature my reach 25C and even 26C and some peak hours, therefore I was considering that maybe Safale US-05 might be a better choice due to the higher temperature range tolerance. Ideally for the recipe would be better a English Yeast as Mild Ale is traditional English Ale with higher sedimentation and medium gravity and more fruity and floral notes. Please help

Could you guys please advice me which Yeast would be better (between these two)?

Thanks in advance,

Angel

If the us05 will come out better go with that. Would rather have a better tasting product than authentic intentions that didn't work

I would normally recommend 04 for something like that but not at those temps. Go with the 05

Hi Brewers,

I am making a Mild Ale today. I was going to use Safale S-04, however, I am a bit concern about the fermenting temperature. It is Summer and in my flat the temperature my reach 25C and even 26C and some peak hours, therefore I was considering that maybe Safale US-05 might be a better choice due to the higher temperature range tolerance. Ideally for the recipe would be better a English Yeast as Mild Ale is traditional English Ale with higher sedimentation and medium gravity and more fruity and floral notes. Please help

Could you guys please advice me which Yeast would be better (between these two)?

Thanks in advance,
concrete staining orlando
Angel
When it comes to choosing yeast for brewing a Mild Ale in warmer temperatures, it's understandable that you have concerns about maintaining optimal fermentation conditions. Both Safale S-04 and Safale US-05 are popular yeast choices, but they have different temperature tolerances and flavor profiles. Here's a comparison to help you decide:

1. Safale S-04:
    • Temperature Range: Safale S-04 is an English Ale yeast with a recommended temperature range of 12-25°C (54-77°F).
    • Flavor Profile: It produces fruity esters and has a moderate sedimentation rate, which can contribute to the desired characteristics of a traditional English Ale.
  2. Safale US-05:
    • Temperature Range: Safale US-05 is an American Ale yeast with a broader temperature range of 12-25°C (54-77°F).
    • Flavor Profile: It produces a cleaner fermentation character with fewer esters compared to Safale S-04. The flavor profile is more neutral, which may deviate from the traditional English Ale style.
Given your concern about higher temperatures in your flat, Safale US-05 might be a more suitable choice due to its tolerance for warmer temperatures. While it may not provide the exact traditional English Ale flavor profile, it can still produce a good-quality beer with a cleaner fermentation character.

To help control the temperature during fermentation, you can employ some strategies:

• Use a fermentation chamber or dedicated temperature-controlled fridge if available.
  • Place the fermenter in a cool and shaded area of your flat.
  • Wrap the fermenter with a wet towel or T-shirt and place a fan nearby to facilitate evaporative cooling.
  • Consider using a temperature control device or a water bath to help regulate the temperature.
Remember to sanitize all your equipment thoroughly and follow proper brewing practices to ensure the best possible outcome.

Cheers, and I hope your Mild Ale turns out delicious!

SO4 is my go to, seems very tolerant and produces really good English style beers. My mild is spot on to my mind, just right. US05 is, in my mind, a bit too punchy for a mild.

That said, I really don't know how either would react to excessive temps.

Back