Safale S-04 or Safale US-05 for a Mild Ale during Summer

Safale S-04 or Safale US-05 for a Mild Ale during Summer?

• Safale S-04

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Safale US-05

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Angelito

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I am making a Mild Ale today. I was going to use Safale S-04, however, I am a bit concern about the fermenting temperature. It is Summer and in my flat the temperature my reach 25C and even 26C and some peak hours, therefore I was considering that maybe Safale US-05 might be a better choice due to the higher temperature range tolerance. Ideally for the recipe would be better a English Yeast as Mild Ale is traditional English Ale with higher sedimentation and medium gravity and more fruity and floral notes. Please help

Could you guys please advice me which Yeast would be better (between these two)?

Thanks in advance,

Angel

Maybe a kveik strain would be a good choice to prevent off flavors from fermenting too warm. I have found that with Kveik it is actually good to ferment super high like 40C. I found it had a much cleaner taste fermented higher.

Hi Angel,
When it comes to choosing a yeast for your Mild Ale, both Safale S-04 and Safale US-05 can be viable options. Safale S-04 is an English ale yeast known for its ability to produce fruity and floral notes, which align well with the traditional character of a Mild Ale. However, it's important to consider the temperature range and potential heat in your fermentation environment.
Given that your flat may reach temperatures of 25-26C during peak hours in the summer, Safale US-05 might be a better choice due to its higher temperature tolerance. Safale US-05 is an American ale yeast known for its clean and neutral fermentation profile. While it may not impart as much fruity or floral character as Safale S-04, it can still produce a delicious and well-fermented Mild Ale, especially in warmer temperatures.
Ultimately, the decision between the two yeasts depends on your preference for the flavor profile and the importance of staying within the recommended temperature range. If you prioritize the traditional English character, you may opt for Safale S-04 and take measures to control the temperature during fermentation. However, if temperature control is challenging, Safale US-05 can provide a reliable and satisfactory result. Whichever yeast you choose, make sure to follow proper fermentation practices to achieve the best possible outcome.
Happy brewing!

I know folks who've had good success with Lallemand's dry Voss yeast without temperature control. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I'm looking at getting a few packs to experiment with.

Personally out of those two, I'd go with US-05 mostly due to attenuation. S04 for me almost always seems like it would benefit from being a bit drier.

Back