S-05 Esters/phenols

EvanAltman36

Trial Member
Reaction score
Wow, long time since I posted; crazy busy. Anyway, I brewed up a batch of white IPA that I've had kegged for a couple weeks now. It's for a buddy's wedding, so I haven't bee drinking it, but I sampled some just last night and it seems to have taken on a really Belgian flavor profile. Not that that would be bad in and of itself, but that's just not what I was shooting for. We had a few unseasonable warm days during fermentation, so the temps stayed above 70 for longer than I would have liked too, which is where I'm getting the flavors came from.

S-05 is supposed to be really neutral but I've been seeing lots of folks out there saying that they've experienced this same issue. Some have mentioned that it goes away with time, but I don't have much more time for this thing to age. Also, it should be noted that I was drinking a session pale immediately prior to sampling the IPA, so that might have thrown things off. The pale has a more earthy hop profile, but the Belgian flavors were pretty noticeable in the IPA.

yes keep the temps 65 to 67 in the carboy, not the room, my chamber temp sometimes goes down to 62 just to keep the beer at 67, serve it as cold as possible just above freezing and it should help

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
serve it as cold as possible just above freezing and it should help
That doesn't sound pleasant at all... :|

I can't say that I'd like to serve it that cold, as I don't think that's the way good beer should be consumed. My main concern is that I'm not much of a Belgian fan, so this just falls too far outside of my comfort zone. The whole process came out of a combination of a couple unseasonably sunny and warm days and me being too tied up to do much about it. I've since taken precautions, but my DeLorean still won't travel back in time to prevent the increased temps. Oh well, live and learn.

just an fyi, had wild esters in 2 batches this year, last one was BR-97, temps were at a true 67 wort temp from the start so not sure but might need to test the yeast well before brewing, could be some bad batches going around

Back