Rum ball Porter

you might try US05 it will be thinner taste but I think it will do fine

I was thinking about that. I found the US04 a bit slow but I under pitched it last year. But also was thinking to mash a little lower. I like my beers on the dry side. I

us04 is a English style yest with more body than some, its high flocculent and stalls periodically, not meant for a dry beer, I suggest Nottingham or us05 at 62ish

If I were doing this, I'd go with WLP002 or Nottingham. I'd really want the malt to shine through. American yeasts tend to be more neutral, not what I'd go for in something called a "rum ball porter."

Nosybear said:
If I were doing this, I'd go with WLP002 or Nottingham. I'd really want the malt to shine through. American yeasts tend to be more neutral, not what I'd go for in something called a "rum ball porter."

I don't have any notty but I do give two packs of 04. I hope it's enough, I'll rehydrate. I've changed the recipe a big since I posted it, going to add some oats. Can I use Quaker farms old fashioned oats?

Go for it. Worst that can happen is you get beer.

Nosybear said:
Go for it. Worst that can happen is you get beer.

Good beer I hope. I enjoyed this beer again after opening a year old bottle. The things that were lacking were mouth feel and thicker head that's what the oats are for. And under attenuation, last year I only pitched one yeast pack, I wish I had three. The calculator shows I'm a bit short. I'm hoping rehydrating will give me an edge.

carapils will give a thicker mouth feel, 1/2 pound for 5 gallons of beer is the ratio I use, it also puts out a strong head after carbonation is complete and slightly aged

Well I put in the oats and pitched the two packs rehydrated us04. Took off like a banchee. Now the waiting game.

Sitting at 63 still strong. Going to start soaking the oak

Back