RIMS system

shuflid

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am a little confused. I am an all grain brewer. I have been researching a RIMS system. All the videos I have watch show the valve on the Mash Tun wide open going to the rims tube. If I were to do this on my present system it would screw up the drain bed and the mash would be stuck. Ask me how I know this. Using the rims system does the fact that you are recirculating the wort keep the mash from sticking with the valve wide open?
Hope this is not confusing.
Thanks in advance.

Dan

I use rims and never open the valve full, usually half to keep from a stuck mash, after 30 minutes I stir then its not a problem but keep it at half anyway

I will say that you need to keep a certain flow going constantly to keep the rims pid to read true or else it over shoots, the slower the flow the more it wants to stay on so theirs a fine line with every system

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
I will say that you need to keep a certain flow going constantly to keep the rims pid to read true or else it over shoots, the slower the flow the more it wants to stay on so theirs a fine line with every system

Agree with the flow. If you run full volume it will compact grain and either stick or ruin efficiency.
Agree with the stir also. After stirring I like to recirculate very slowly to avoid compaction then when mash is complete without flow change drain to kettle. Each batch sparge gets stirred also and drained to kettle at the same slow flow after lautering itself. I have tried to hurry things up, drain quicker and it always just causes problems.

it also depends on a few things,
how many right angle elbows in you system, how much your false bottom allows through, how fine you mill your grain, and if using flaked grains. a right angle will slow the flow down meaning if you have 4 right angles vs a looping strait hose the right angle vessel can open the valve more, you mill you grain with a larger gap it wont compact as easy, finer milled grain and flaked grain stick together very easy compacting at the bottom.

so each system is different and you have to learn your systems limits over time, once you hit that sweet spot and everything is working after several brews, your brew day will be much easier

Thanks guys, it makes a lot more sense to me now. Appreciate the insight.
Dan

On my system I open the mash tun to the full position and then throttle the flow as the wort leaves the pump. It avoids cavitation and aeration.

Back