Rice Wine

Not much to report. It's definitely gotten more soupy, so it's easier to slosh it around.
It does have a little bit of an odor to it now, but nothing bad. Not to be cheeky, but it smells like a bunch of globby rice with maybe a hint of sour. I believe it's supposed to be slightly sour if I remember correctly.
I'm not seeing any activity, but something's happening since it's less dense than when I started. I'll probably stop by lhbs on Thursday for a packet of yeast and pitch that.
Honestly, not expecting much from this batch, but I'll be looking into getting the proper ingredients for the next one

I've had a few imported commercial ones. Very light sour, with an earthy, creamy taste that gets better as you get used to it is my memory. Goes very well with the garlic chilli soy crumbed chicken at the local Korean restaurant.

Happy to say there's visible bubbling and I saw an actual airlock burp!
No krausen to speak of but at least I know it's doing something.
There was a definite alcohol smell to it, but I'm happy with that considering how much extra water I added.
Also, it's definitely starting to stratify and the rice is breaking down a bit. There's about an inch or so of liquid at the top (before I sloshed it around)
15582309067914116324591059539534.jpg

Just finished straining it into a bucket. Not bad at all but had to do it in small batches. Smell a bit like sake. That sweet alcohol smell. Can't wait to get some chilled and try it tonight

15589154770255030717619952553909.jpg

Well well well looks like milk:) see you got a carb cap on one of them bottles gunna try a fizzy version?
Looks like you made a bit in the end too.

Yeah, the carb cap was just because I didn't have a regular one. I may try to carb some, good idea.
And I did add a gallon of extra water during the ferment since I was worried it was all clumping together. Hence all the odd bottles and glass jug

Back