Return to the Mash Tun...

Ive went as far as made sure no steam is rising then sealed my carboy air tight and stuck it in the freezer, I did that over night if my brew ended in the evening and it was at 50F in the morning, a couple of times it froze a little but it worked for me

Man! Just my luck, we got a heat wave right after I pitched my yeast... It's cooking along at 83+ °F!!

SG down from 1.055 to 1.020 in the first 24 hours... I'm gonna have to rack it tonight - the head's already collapsing :confused:

Well, it's my first batch of the new era, lots of learning yet to go...

Get ya self a fermentation fridge thirsty then I don't matter what temp it is outside your ferments good to go:D. Look up your freebie fridges then hook up a temp control unit pre wired or if you like electronics stc1000. I've herd of blokes on here doing the water bath type method putting their fermenter in a bath of water an changing ice bricks throughout primary fermentation. Water don't change temperature too quick maybe you could try this?

Get ya self a fermentation fridge thirsty then I don't matter what temp it is outside your ferments good to go:D. Look up your freebie fridges then hook up a temp control unit pre wired or if you like electronics stc1000. I've herd of blokes on here doing the water bath type method putting their fermenter in a bath of water an changing ice bricks throughout primary fermentation. Water don't change temperature too quick maybe you could try this?
Yeah, I know... someday maybe. It would be an awful hard sell to the wifey with the $$ I've already spent on equipment and space being rather tight and that...
I'll chug along as I am for now - If I ferment in the hall closet instead of the garage I can avoid much of the heat on days like this. Meanwhile I'll stick to warm beers.

I decided to wait and rack to secondary this morning. It may have been a futile gesture as it read 1.015 this morning, which should be my FG. I'll let it rest in secondary a few days and probably plan on bottling next week. Man, it smelled good, though!! :):D;)

I think most women are the same thirsty in that they don't see the point in your beer brewing hobby. My wife don't like it when I drink let alone brew beer:p. So you know what I did and still do mate I show her how dedicated I am to both drinking and brewing:eek: that way she gets a bit more compassionate toward this hobby. Buy your equipment like on a monthly basis eg this month get that new hop spider your hoping to build- next month get the water filter setup- next month after that get that new gas burner and so on. That way you can sorta sneak it past her:D and spread the cost out eventually you get most stuff ya need. Good luck mate

Hey plus there are a lot of blokes who have caved into the pressure from their missus and will just up and sell all their equipment on line now they are the bargains :cool: yep just be patient this hoppy teaches you bucket loads of that.

Do you have gumtree in America that's a buy and sell site

We have Craigslist!

Ah yep I've herd of that you get some great deals on them sites heck I recon most my gear came from gumtree the keg I converted a fridge I got for free but blew up six months in and fused the house :oops: yea some of its dodgey ha ha but I've been looking lately at second hand chest friezes for 100bucks trying to convince the missus. I'm going for the duel purpose angle :)

I think most women are the same thirsty in that they don't see the point in your beer brewing hobby. My wife don't like it when I drink let alone brew beer:p. So you know what I did and still do mate I show her how dedicated I am to both drinking and brewing:eek: that way she gets a bit more compassionate toward this hobby. Buy your equipment like on a monthly basis eg this month get that new hop spider your hoping to build- next month get the water filter setup- next month after that get that new gas burner and so on. That way you can sorta sneak it past her:D and spread the cost out eventually you get most stuff ya need. Good luck mate

Dude! SWAMBO not only bought me my first brew kit, she encourages me to brew and loves the result! Of course, she also uses my equiipment to make her wine....

In the Bottles and Off to the Races!

Got my inaugural batch primed up and cooking in 15x 22oz bottles. A bit shy of my target 3 gallons, but I'll compensate in future brews by aiming at 3.5 gallons after boil.

I think it's going to be a bit thinner bodied than I was hoping for (mostly due to mash temp/thickness issues and a fast, high temp fermentation) but it really smells good and it cleared up very well with finings.

Can't wait to report back on the final, tasty results!! Next up: English style Pale Ale!

One week in the bottles... I was figuring to wait for two weeks before I try one. How long would you wait for complete carbonation?

The weather has been cooler for the last week, but it's hot again now. I suppose I should just be patient but I'm really curious how this first batch is progressing.

One week is way on the early side. Wait another week. I would typically try a bottle at 10 days, though.

To increase temperature remove mash and boil it instead of wort. Wort is heated for mash out purpose which denatures enzymes. You were lucky this time because the mash liquid contained enzymes. When mash is boiled hard starch bursts. The starch is called amylo-pectin and when the starch is in solution enzymes liquefy the starch and A and B limit dextrin forms. Limit dextrin is responsible for body. Dextrinization temperature is 149F. Temperature of 146F is in the range of Beta, however, mash pH was not optimum for Beta. Beta is responsible for conversion and it is not a bad idea to start with a low temperature. Beta converts glucose into disaccharide and tri-saccharide sugar, maltose and malto-triose. The sugar does not ferment in the same fashion as glucose. During second ferment, the sugar is absorbed through the cell walls of yeast and enzymes within the yeast convert the sugar into glucose. The glucose is expelled and becomes fuel and gravity decreases. During the aging phase yeast absorbs malto-triose and natural carbonation takes place. Since, the beer is void of oxygen during second ferment and during aging, the oxidizer is bound within the molecular structure of the sugar.
Single infusion creates a sugar imbalanced wort made up of sweet tasting, non-fermenting sugar and glucose. Yeast quickly and thoroughly reduces glucose during primary and for that reason the beer is primed. Refer to Weyermann's website and take a look at their recipes. You will notice that they recommend several different temperature rest periods when using their malt. Their malt is somewhat expensive but it is fine malt and to use it with the single infusion method is a waste of money.
Never assume that a single pH is suitable for producing beer. Mash pH is adjusted to be in optimum range of the enzyme being activated. It is better to allow the inherent pH of the malt to stabilize mash pH before adjusting pH. The pH that was spot on favored Alpha and the rest temperature 152/153F is used during an important test that malt undergoes and the test is used to determine total sugar content of malt.

GREAT JOB!! Especially for being away from the hobby for many years. BREW ON!!!

I popped a test bottle to see what I have, and the results were rather disappointing. I pretty much expected that, though, because of the problems I had with my processes.

Very little carbonation-
This may be due to opening at 11 days, but it's been warm so I expect it would have fermented up pretty much all the priming sugar by now. I'll see if it gets better with time. I used 1/2 tsp per 20 oz of beer DME for priming. After fining with gelatin before bottling, I added 1 tsp of liquid lager yeast out of concern that I may have removed too much yeast with the finings. I should think that would be enough sugar and yeast for a decent head. Any comments would be appreciated.​

Good color, slightly cloudy-
Perhaps a bit darker than I was expecting for a Porter, and the cloudiness might be due to the fact that I used a whole packet of gelatin for finings (should have been just 1/2 tsp), and a brulosophy.com xBeerment shows that too much gelatin actually clouds a brew rather than clearing it. This is part of why I was concerned about how much yeast was left for conditioning.​

Rich, roasty aroma with good chocolate notes-
This was the best attribute of this batch. To the nose, it really comes up as a nice, round Porter. No hop aroma that I could detect which is OK, since most of the Northern Brewer I used was well boiled in.​

Thin bodied, dry, distinct tartness, pronounced bitterness-
This is where it truly fails. Totally lacking in the body and sweetness I was aiming for, and the tartness is completely out of character for a Porter, pretty much ruining the intended effect. I expect that the lack of body was mostly due to my problems in the mash (temp too low, thin watery consistency, 60 minutes+). The distasteful tang is probably an off-flavor caused by the racing, high temperature fermentation. WLP023 is rated for up to 73 °F, but is definitely over-wrought at 83 °F and higher. There was also more bitterness than I was looking for, and it occurs to me that the cocoa I used may have added to the bitterness above and beyond the relatively light hopping I used - or maybe it just seemed too bitter because there was no body to balance it. I don't think recipe calculators add to the IBU value with the inclusion of cocoa, so I may have to compensate for it in the future. Come to think of it, the cocoa may have contributed to the tartness, too. Thoughts?​

CONCLUSION-
As a Porter, the most accurate description is nasty. Totally outside of style, and not very pleasant. I normally drink Porters and Stouts at room temperature, but due to the dryness and tang I think this may be more palatable chilled. I really want to get this right and I might need to adjust the recipe, but since I buggered up the process so much I think the best strategy would be to brew the exact same recipe again but do it right. Until then I don't really know what this recipe will give me.
Possible recipe adjustments might be to reduce the hops (to ease the bitterness), or to move more of the hops to late in the boil. That would reduce bitterness and bring them forward into the nose as well. Also, I need to think about adding more lactose, since I got no sweetness at all from the amount I used. Finally, if the mash adjustments don't provide the body I'm looking for I might consider swapping out some malt for some brown sugar.​

Not what I was hoping for in my first brew back from the wilderness, but I will learn all I can from it and use it to make me a better brewer!

Cheers! :D

Yep you win some and lose some that's what makes them awesome batches great!

Yeah, I know... someday maybe. It would be an awful hard sell to the wifey with the $$ I've already spent on equipment and space being rather tight and that...
I'll chug along as I am for now - If I ferment in the hall closet instead of the garage I can avoid much of the heat on days like this. Meanwhile I'll stick to warm beers.
Brew a saison - grab a yeast that loves high temperatures! Such a great beer type, and so much room to experiment too

Back