Request for Clone Recipe

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I recently had a Weltenberger Kloster Anno 1040, their Maerzen. Anyone have a clone recipe of that beer?

Mmmmmm, yeah, the 1050 is definitely good! :cool:
Unfortunately, I am not able to find a clone recipe either....

One should ALWAYS check their references, right? :lol: Turns out 1040 is the supposed date of the founding of the brewery. Or Weihenstephan. Oh, well.

I'm guessing it's a lot simpler grain bill than most Maerzen recipes I see out there, mostly Pilsner and Munich, a bit of caramel. Given the location, I'm also guessing the hops are mostly either Hallertau or Tettnanger, given the more floral note in the beer I'd guess Hallertau. Looking at this image, I'd say next time I find myself in Germany, a pilgrimage is in order! Our local liquor store only has four of the beers in this image.

Attachments

• Weltenberger biere.png
    Weltenberger biere.png
    449.3 KB · Views: 1,579
Nosybear said:
Looking at this image, I'd say next time I find myself in Germany, a pilgrimage is in order! Our local liquor store only has four of the beers in this image.
Heh, there's some irony for ya...I have only ever been able find two locally (and even that was a bit of a fluke), the other 4 that I have tried were all while I was in Bavaria on vacation.
Thankfully, the beers from Andechs are a bit more widely available. Personally, I find the Weltenburger beers to be good, but for the most part nothing extraordinary. Andechs beers on the other hand (especially the Doppelbock Dunkel)...I am a huge fan of. :mrgreen:

Back