iOS Reply with selected text not working

Donoroto

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
One can reply to a whole post or just select some text and poke the reply button that pops up. Until recently the 'select some text' function was working fine, but after the iOS upgrade to 15 (I think?) it does not work. I am using Safari, but tried it with Firefox with the same result.

After selecting text, the reply button/icon appears (see image). Tapping it causes it to disappear, and we're back where we started with no text selected.

In the past, tapping it would make the selected text become unselected but the Reply icon remained, tapping that icon again opened a new reply with the selected text as a quote.

A simple workaround is to reply to the whole post, then delete whatever you don't want from within the quote tags.

Attachments

• 28662291-EEA6-499D-81F1-08B93CC3F79A.png
    28662291-EEA6-499D-81F1-08B93CC3F79A.png
    682.4 KB · Views: 74
One can reply to a whole post or just select some text and poke the reply button that pops up. Until recently the 'select some text' function was working fine, but after the iOS upgrade to 15 (I think?) it does not work. I am using Safari, but tried it with Firefox with the same result.

After selecting text, the reply button/icon appears (see image). Tapping it causes it to disappear, and we're back where we started with no text selected.

In the past, tapping it would make the selected text become unselected but the Reply icon remained, tapping that icon again opened a new reply with the selected text as a quote.

A simple workaround is to reply to the whole post, then delete whatever you don't want from within the quote tags.

I've never had an option to "select some text", using my iPad and Chrome. I've always had to delete the stuff I don't want to quote.

Okey doke. For me, when I select text, a reply button also appears, as seen above. On my Win19 machine clicking the reply button causes the selection area (in blue) to disappear but the 'reply' button remains. Clicking that creates a new message with the selected text quoted.

This is also how it worked on my iPhone with iOS 14, but now it doesn't. After clicking reply everything disappears and I'm back where I started before I selected any text.

Try it on a computer? Possibly not Chrome?

Back