Rehydrating Yeast

Each of his/her own as long as the beer tastes good that's what matters. There is more than one way to skin a cat and more than one way to brew a beer. To Quote another brewer on this forum I think (noseybear) what is it ask two brewers one question get two different answers! Man I love this hobby LOL:p!
It's ask two brewers the same question to get three answers! The answers I have on rehydration are to rehydrate to get the cells back to viability before contacting wort. Putting them in wort without rehydrating stresses the cells due to the high sugar content of the wort - osmotic pressure - and kills about half of them. I make the decision to rehydrate or make a starter based on the number of cells I need. There's no one-size-fits-all answer. Do what makes your beer taste good.

Rehydrated yeast will rapidly lose viability if you wait too long to pitch. Most manufacturers recommend 30 minutes or less from the time you add it to the water.

That was Cliffie Claven?

Guess senility is creepin' up on me :) I graduated from CRS (can't remember $hit) to CRAFT (can't remember a freakin' thing) disease.
Then CRAFT brewing is right up your alley! :D

Back