refermenting after cold crash

Brewer #407253

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi
after cold crashing my beer I have been recommended this cbc-1 yeast to referment my brew but when do I use it? Do I just put it in along with the sugar to carbonate in the bottle? This new to me, before I just sugar carbonated and that was it.

hi
after cold crashing my beer I have been recommended this cbc-1 yeast to referment my brew but when do I use it? Do I just put it in along with the sugar to carbonate in the bottle? This new to me, before I just sugar carbonated and that was it.
As @Trialben asked. What is the purpose of a secondary ferm in the bottles? Unless they are thick walled, I would worry about bottle bombs

Did you have a problem with bottle carbonating before?
I figure you got advised that because of the cold crash, thinking the yeast would die at low temperatures?
I don't cold crash

I do get some brews with more head than body ;-) and I've had one come out of the bottle by itself. I try to regulate the sugar but it's difficult

I do get some brews with more head than body ;-) and I've had one come out of the bottle by itself. I try to regulate the sugar but it's difficult
Sounds like your getting plenty of secondary fermentation in the bottle then mate.

I'd just stick to your routine if this is the case.

You mix 5 oz CORN sugar with 2 cups water, boil for 5 minutes, and make a simple syrup. You add that simple syrup (once it cools a little) to the bottom of a bottling bucket and rack you beer on top without splashing if possible. Bottle with a wand and some tubing from the spigot on the bucket. It mixes fairly evenly.
I would cold crash IN the bottle AFTER it carbonates. You can always try a single bottle 11-14 days after you have primed to give you an idea of the rest. Let it crash all day and try it in the evening.
They also make priming sugar in a soda can that works the same way, but corn sugar is cheap.

sounds like a gusher. you open it and it instantly foams out of the bottle?

hi

The only time I use CBC-1 is when I am bottling a big beer that has been bulk aged for 6+ months. By that time the yeast that transferred into the secondary vessel (glass carboy) are either dead or too weak to consume the priming sugar. For normal beers I cold crash the fermenter for a couple days and then bottle. Priming solution in the bottling bucket is all I add. Adding CBC-1 to a normal beer won't hurt but, it's a waste of money because, regardless of how much viable yeast you have in the bottle, as soon as all the priming sugar is consumed re-fermentation will cease.

Note: I would stay away from champaign yeasts because they will ferment sugars that regular beer yeasts cannot. Then you run the risk of bottle bombs.

Back