Red IPA

That is very dark for an IPA. I am not familiar with any of those malts, but I wonder if even 70 IBU's is enough to stand up to those heavy malts. Are you trying to replicate something that you have had?

That is very dark for an IPA. I am not familiar with any of those malts, but I wonder if even 70 IBU's is enough to stand up to those heavy malts. Are you trying to replicate something that you have had?
No, just took a swag at a Red IPA using malts I have on hand. I could lighten it up a bit.

Let's see what the others say.
I can brew a great beer, but I am no recipe formulation expert.

OK, so I am...err, what's the opposite of expert? Yeah, that.

The Caramel 200 doesn't fit into a typical IPA. Nor does the yeast (Lager yeast for an ale?)
It seems it will turn out quite drinkable, but it's unlikely to be like other red IPAs.
(Data point: A local brewery makes an IPL, and it's good.)
If you keep the hops but move to different grains it'll be more like a typical IPA, if that's what you are looking for.
I might consider double the Simcoe in the dry hop as well.

But, I remind you...read the first line of this post again, OK?

OK, so I am...err, what's the opposite of expert? Yeah, that.

The Caramel 200 doesn't fit into a typical IPA. Nor does the yeast (Lager yeast for an ale?)
It seems it will turn out quite drinkable, but it's unlikely to be like other red IPAs.
(Data point: A local brewery makes an IPL, and it's good.)
If you keep the hops but move to different grains it'll be more like a typical IPA, if that's what you are looking for.
I might consider double the Simcoe in the dry hop as well.

But, I remind you...read the first line of this post again, OK?

497 is a strange duck, bottom fermenting ale yeast(I use it in almost everything). Decided to swap it out for US-05, it should finish a bit drier(and I have some on hand). Also made a couple changes to the hops bill. Think a few less ibu's may work better for a slightly drier beer.

I would not use the mandarina bavaria for bittering. That is a wonderful hop that deserves some late kettle/dry hop love. I would suggest using a high alpha hop for bittering and using more kettle hops for flavor.

I would not use the mandarina bavaria for bittering. That is a wonderful hop that deserves some late kettle/dry hop love. I would suggest using a high alpha hop for bittering and using more kettle hops for flavor.
I tend to use more "dual purpose" hops for bittering. The main reason being, I buy them as whole hops and adding an ounce or two gets me a "filter bed" on the false bottom during whirlpool. It does tend to absorb a bit of wort. I usually bitter with Cluster, but, I think Mandarina early will be interesting(and a bit less catty at this level). I agree it is a very nice hop(I've got a ton of it in the freezer), used it once on the back end of a cream ale, gave it almost a creamcicle finish.

Back