Recurring infections in secondary

i drink to forget

Trial Member
Reaction score
I seem to be getting a lot of recurrent infections in secondary. I often bottle some off of first fermentation and these have been fine, but a lot have gone bad when dry going or just conditioning. I've triple satirized everything several times. Out all started after moving to the country and I wondered if it's just something in the air? Didn't seem likely.
It's doing my head though although I got a really nice Brett in a second gen wit that is amazing. Doesn't make up for the four bad batches though!
The infections all seem different too.
Any ideas?

try using dry yeast, don't open the fermenter once started, use star sans on everything including your hands right before use

Not necessarily helpful...but are you using plastic?
I have had the same infection twice in about 4 years, and the only solution each time was swapping out my fermentation and bottling buckets (plastic, thankfully inexpensive).
The second time around I nuked everything with rubbing alcohol, which helped, but it really only was fully gone with new gear.

yes when infected twice the rule of thumb is replace everything, no opening, touching or tasting anything until bottled or kegged

sbaclimber said:
Not necessarily helpful...but are you using plastic?
I have had the same infection twice in about 4 years, and the only solution each time was swapping out my fermentation and bottling buckets (plastic, thankfully inexpensive).
The second time around I nuked everything with rubbing alcohol, which helped, but it really only was fully gone with new gear.

Yes plastic fantastic. What seems strange is it only seems to be in secondary suggesting airborne infection to me as the gas coming off primary will keep the baddies at bay?
I don't know.
If I'm honest I am a bit of a terrible taster but always sanitize everything.

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
yes when infected twice the rule of thumb is replace everything, no opening, touching or tasting anything until bottled or kegged

I've got a sexy ss chronical in the post but I'll be damned if I'm chucking all my tubs. I need them for my alcoholism!
I'll chuck the siphon though. I blame him for no particular reason.

Alternative to chucking (and why may I ask are you picking on the siphon?), soak everything in a diluted bleach solution. If that doesn't work, start chucking.

Nosybear said:
Alternative to chucking (and why may I ask are you picking on the siphon?), soak everything in a diluted bleach solution. If that doesn't work, start chucking.

Don't be afraid of bleach, soak it overnight with half a cup of bleach in each bucket. Rinse thoroughly then let it air out for a day. The bleach smell will disappear with evaporation. If buckets are badly scratched, nasties hide in the scratches anyway. They make good mop buckets then.

Back