Recipe View Corruption of Data (web version)

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This is a strange one that has only just been noticed (by me anyway) and it has to do with the way data is save between editing, saving and viewing entries in the HOPS section of the recipe.

When editing / building a recipe the drop downs for the items (in this case HOPS) lists any of your inventory items for the section along with the current quantities [FIG 1]. This is OK as it gives you the understanding of how much of the item you have to play with (this goes for Fermentables and Others too [FIG 2]).

When you save the entry the selected value is entered into the field and a price value, if any, is also updated. Usually the Currency symbol will only show green AFTER YOU HAVE SAVED THE RECIPE AND RETURNED TO THE EDIT SCREEN.

OK so far. However. Select VIEW and look at the fields for HOPS and the item still shows the entry INCLUDING the Inventory amount! Normally the system removes this part of the field value and displays only the Item value (say Gypsum if in the Others section) but not now [FIG 3].

Consequently, when you come to EXPORT the recipe data [FIG 4] there is extra characters in the output field [FIG 5]. This includes a Carriage Return and Line Feed set (CRLF - normally the End of a line marker) followed by a string of Tab characters and then the erroneous / Amount values. [FIG 6]. This was viewed in Word which can display the extra characters other than just showing a SPACE character.

This is only a recent event and may (?) be coincident with the introduction of the new App version - I'm not sure about this. It is only a guess.
Here are some screen shots of the problem:
[FIG 1]
upload_2021-5-8_14-47-56.png

[FIG 2]
upload_2021-5-8_14-49-34.png

[FIG 3]
upload_2021-5-8_14-49-6.png

[FIG 4]
upload_2021-5-8_14-50-37.png

[FIG 5]
upload_2021-5-8_14-51-14.png

[FIG 6]
upload_2021-5-8_14-51-39.png

UPDATE: ##############
@Pricelessbrewing

If you reassign the hops - or any of the other fields that exhibit this problem - then SAVE the recipe then REFRESH the recipe, the problem disappears!

This is weird.

I see this, but need more coffee before I can make sense of it.

I see this, but need more coffee before I can make sense of it.

Yes I know what you mean.

It would appear that I have to reassign Hops in each of the recipes I have come across that have been done recently - last 3 weeks or so - and then SAVE and refresh a couple of times before I can see a clean export of the recipe.

I have to save and refresh twice as the first time the costs for the hops do not get refreshed properly. As a consequence the exported text value has all the crud in it. I have never seen this before as in the past all has functioned as designed. I am going over ALL my recipes to see which ones are affected.

What SHOULD happen (I believe) is that the drop down lists for the Hops (and other inventory items) show the users stock values so they can pick the appropriate value. This then gets displayed in the field when in EDIT mode and the users price values should be updated at the same time. When you go to VIEW the recipe the extra bits of data get removed and each field is displayed with just the Hop name. When you come to Export the View that is all that gets exported - the reduced string of the hop name.

What appears to be happening is the Export function is getting the "dirty" value from the Edit mode which includes all the tab values taken from the background database (my idea) instead of just the Hop name value. Multiple Edits and Saves seems to correct this error but I have no idea why it should happen in the first place as it all used to work perfectly well - otherwise I would have noticed it. I must be the only nerd doing the text export!

I haven't yet looked at the HTML export values to see if that is affected too.

Sorry to give you a headache with this but it MAY be connected with the new APP introduction somewhere as it is fairly recent.

I don't think it's related to the app, but very well could be. I've passed it along to the developers.

I know it's been awhile, but we've tried a few times now to reproduce and can't get it to happen on our end. I even tried logging into your account a few times now and I'm not seeing it even in that same recipe. We're keeping the ticket open for now, let us know if you see it again!

I know it's been awhile, but we've tried a few times now to reproduce and can't get it to happen on our end. I even tried logging into your account a few times now and I'm not seeing it even in that same recipe. We're keeping the ticket open for now, let us know if you see it again!
Hi there.. It has been such a long time that I had forgotten about this.
I will take another look and see if I can, first of all remember what it's about, and second replicate it myself.
I have had too many beers to look at it tonight so it will have to be tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi, I have just reviewed this and the curious effect does not seem to exist now - that doesn't mean to say it has gone completely but I will continue to review this over the next couple of recipes - I only edited a previously stored recipe here (called test).
If you or the developers have done something recently then it seems to have worked if so then thanks for that.

Hi, I have just reviewed this and the curious effect does not seem to exist now - that doesn't mean to say it has gone completely but I will continue to review this over the next couple of recipes - I only edited a previously stored recipe here (called test).
If you or the developers have done something recently then it seems to have worked if so then thanks for that.
Thanks for check Alan!

Back