Recipe style match

Krimbos

Trial Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the recipe tool to modify a kit to better match the style? I bought a Brewers Best Kolsch kit and after loading info, it did not "match" the Kolsch style in the system.

I tinkered with my steep grains and DME to produce a green check.

Am I over thinking this?

You'd think the maker of the kit would align it with the style. It is possible they were using different equations, but it shouldn't be too far off. Where was it off, and by how much?

OG and color

I was able to increase both, thinking it would make a more robust brew?

Sounds like the kit was on the thin side then.

I predict you'll be moving on from kits in the near future.

Thanks LB. Actually, for my second brew, I was looking for a stout kit. My LHBS was out, so the guy there help me assemble one. Pretty easy! Now that I have the recipe match here, I doubt I will bother with kits moving forward.

Any recipe suggestions for a newbie?

If I may make a suggestion to a "newbie," do something relatively simple, a pale ale or a blonde, and repeat it several times to perfect your process. I didn't, jumped from recipe to recipe, and as a result it took me much longer to get my techniques down than had I brewed the same thing over and over. A pale ale can be as simple as this: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... k-pale-ale

For five gallons:
7 Lbs Light Malt Syrup
1 Oz medium AA hops (Perle, Cascade) @ 60 mins
1 Oz low AA hops (Crystal, Hallertau, Saaz) @ 10 mins
(optional) 1 Oz low AA hops at knockout
(optional) 1 Tbsp Irish Moss (rehydrated in 1-2 Oz water) @ 15 mins
American ale yeast

This simple recipe will allow you to determine if you have any problems with your procedures, sanitation, etc. There's no place in it for off-flavors, byproducts of process errors, to hide. It will also make a drinkable lawnmower beer!

Nosy.

My thoughts exactly. I was a bench chemist for 6 yrs ( long time ago) and experimentation is key. I was even thinking of reducing to 1 gallon batches to test different components

Has anyone done that?

I've done three gallon batches. Will do another soon - want to try out a Polish style called Grodziskie (made with smoked wheat malt). I actually had one from Poland not long ago - too smoky. So my plan is to back off on smoke and ferment with a Berliner Weisse blend to get a lot of good tartness going. Somehow a one-gallon batch just doesn't seem worth the effort to me, three is big enough so if it's good, I have a few extra bottles to brag about and if it's bad, the drain pour doesn't hurt as much.

Happy brewing! By the way, that recipe I posted, you can ferment it with Koelsch yeast if you'd like....

That's a pretty good test too, take a wort and ferment it with different yeasts.... Have fun with it whatever you decide!

Krimbos said:
I was even thinking of reducing to 1 gallon batches to test different components

Has anyone done that?

I've done 2.5 gallon batches no problem (using 3 gallon carboy as primary, and no secondary). Some home brews stores in big cities are selling 1 gallon kits, but I have never tried one.

Ok, so today I brewed my modified Brewers Best Kolsch, based on BF Recipe numbers

4 gal boil
Added 0.25 lb Carmel 10L to 12 oz CARAPILS steep grains Steeped for 30 min
Added 0.5lb Pilsen DME along with 3.3 LB Pilsen LME at Boil

My OG came is at 1.071!!! :eek:

I aerated well and pitched KOLSCH 2565

Not sure I will be drinking a KOLSCH in a few weeks :lol:

Sounds like an Imperial Kolsch! Should knock your socks off. Hopefully it dries out nicely. I've never tried a kolsch with that high of a gravity.

LB - did I create a new style???????????????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hah, perhaps, but let us know how it turns out before we add Krimbos Kolsch to the style list...

It is actually pretty hard to get new styles added. We blogged about Black Ales awhile ago - a fad that started a couple years ago with the trend for Dark IPAs in the NW:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2012/05/15 ... -category/

Day 8 and its still bubbling! Wondering if I have enough yeast?

The yeast are reproducing as they eat the sugar and produce alcohol. In fact, you will end up with MORE yeast after fermentation than you started with. Think of it like a huge yeast starter. Nothing to worry about.

FYI. Still bubbling slowly. Checked yesterday. 1.014 @59f

Gonna let it go few more days, rack and second @50-55f for 2-3 weeks.

Tasted pretty good, too!!

Back