Recipe Issue: IBU's higher than expected

Brewer #94402

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have recently imported all my recipes over from another site that is not supported anymore. The issue I'm having is that in all my recipes the IBU's are well higher than my original recipes i.e. 69 IBU vs 39 IBU. All the ingredient quantities are the same so I don't know why the difference. On the other site I used Tinseth as the IBU formula and have selected the same on BF.
The higher IBU's apply to all my recipes, including ones that do not have whirlpool or even dry hop additions. Could it be something to do with the Hop Utilization Multiplier - Scale Hop x 1 in the Advanced Recipe Options and Stats section OR % utilisation in the hop section?
Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Can you give me a screenshot, or a link, to one of your recipes so I can check it out?

A couple of things I see there that would increase the hops utilization formula.

1. You have your boil volume as 8 liters, but the batch is 4.5L. The boil volume in the Brewtoad recipe isn't stated there, but since your kettle volume is 8L, it seems that you have the boil volume incorrect in one of them. The more you boil, the more hops utilization you will get, up to a certain point.

2. You have your whirlpool hops utilization in Brewers Friend set at 10%. That may be high, depending on the temperature of your whirlpool. I can't see what the setting for that is in Brewtoad, but that would also make a huge difference if the utilization percentage is set different. Many software programs give you 0 for whirlpool hops.

3. The AAUs aren't listed in the recipe on Brewtoad, so you may have different values for the hops that you are using than what is in either recipe.

4. You have all of your grains added as "late addition". That incorrect setting will decrease the gravity of the wort greatly, increasing your utilization. Remove the "late addition" checkmark and that will resolve quickly.

I hope that helps!

Back