Recipe images (labels)

bilhelm96

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I would like a feature where we could add an image to a recipe. This could be used for storing the bottle label or similar.

There's been a lot of discussion recently about labelling, and I'd support the idea of allowing media to be uploaded against each recipe.

I'd make a distinction between recipe "artwork" (referring to label designs, bottle cap designs etc...) and more general mixed media which might include photos of the end product or a video of the brew day.

You'd also want to indicate whether each media item was shared or private.

Some of the custom labelling and custom bottlecap ideas floating around at the moment look amazing. The advent of digital printing is opening up things to the home-brewing community that I can only think would have been expensive pipedreams a few years ago.

bilhelm96 said:
I would like a feature where we could add an image to a recipe. This could be used for storing the bottle label or similar.

Avery has a pretty decent On-line labeling program. http://www.avery.com

My profile pic has an example of a label I created on the Avery website.

I mean, you're not going to get professional labels this way! ... but it keeps the bottle from looking naked ... and it's pretty cheap. Plus, it is cloud-based so you you can save them on-line. You just need to update the batch number, bottling date and things like that.

Along the same lines as this stream, but more basic - suggest an automatically generated "basic" default label that contains the key brewing information; ABV%, Brew date, Bottle date, "name", etc. from the batch being brewed. Ideally this default label would be tailored to the brew style related to the recipe, but now I am enhancing - so back to the basic idea - an automatically generated default label (maybe a PDF?) that pulls all the basic data from the batch information.

I like this idea. I'd love to see this feature to uniquely identify all of my recipes.

We now support basic labels (just went out as part of February release):
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... rator/3981

Uploading photos to recipes would be really fun, so we'll be getting to this in the near future. Loading the photo onto the label is an extra step for us to code in, but we can clearly see the value in it.

This is really cool!

But just one thing came to my mind... Wouldn't it make more sense to use the values from the brew sessions instead of from the recipe?

Ah yes, that had occurred, but normally it shouldn't be too far off. FG and the resulting ABV are only two that might be a surprise. IBU, SRM would never be different. OG should be close unless the efficiency was off.

Perhaps either the option to import values from the brew session, or a manual override values could be introduced down the line. Please start a new thread for this if you feel the need, and we'll see how much activity it gets.

I had thought a comments field would be helpful, but there really isn't much room once the profile pic and qr code are on there.

LarryBrewer said:
Ah yes, that had occurred, but normally it shouldn't be too far off. FG and the resulting ABV are only two that might be a surprise. IBU, SRM would never be different. OG should be close unless the efficiency was off.

Believe me, mine are usually off (I'm a n00b). :oops:

I also think that if you're brewing somebody else's recipe, things could get more off too, due to differences in the brewing process and equipment.

Perhaps either the option to import values from the brew session, or a manual override values could be introduced down the line. Please start a new thread for this if you feel the need, and we'll see how much activity it gets.

Yeah, an option to import values from the brew session wuold be nice. A manual override would be okay too, but if the values are already present in the system, it's easier for the lazy (aka. *me*) to just import them. :)

I had thought a comments field would be helpful, but there really isn't much room once the profile pic and qr code are on there.

I guess a comments field would be nice too, but it's a different issue. And yeah, it's probably going to start getting too crammed...

Spin-off thread created here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=450

Back