Recipe Help with Session IPA Recipe (Ratios etc.)

BaconsBrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I really want to try and re-create a delicious Session IPA that I had the other day. Usually I'm not a fan of IPAs because I find them quite bitter, but this was smooth and full of tropical flavours like mango, orange and passion fruit, gorgeous aroma and lovely creamy mouthfeel. I did some research on the malts and hops used in the beer but have no information on quantities or ratios. Could you guys offer me some help?

I am aiming for a 23L batch, with good head retention and mouth-feel and an ABV around 4.5%

Grain:
CARAMALT
MALTED OATS
MARIS OTTER,
WHEAT

HOPS:
AMARILLO 8.67%...grapefruit, orange, lemon and peach
CASCADE 7.5%... zesty grapefruit, spicy, citrus
COLUMBUS 11% ...citrus, earthy black pepper, bitter
EL DORADO 14.6%...later addition, bright tropical fruit, pear, watermelon
MOSAIC 11.9% ...blueberry, tropical, papaya, pine
SIMCOE 11.5%... apricot, berry, passion-fruit

As a newbie to IPAs, I'm not sure when to add various hops and how much of it I should add. Similarly, what ratio of grist should I use? Could someone help me achieve that desired tropical fruit flavours without overwhelming it with bitterness? I'll be using pellets. I could also do with some advice on the suggested yeast strain to use. i read somewhere that although it is called a session IPA, the beer style is closer to an American Pale Wheat Ale

Thanks for your help!

Darragh :)

Hey everyone.

I really want to try and re-create a delicious Session IPA that I had the other day. Usually I'm not a fan of IPAs because I find them quite bitter, but this was smooth and full of tropical flavours like mango, orange and passion fruit, gorgeous aroma and lovely creamy mouthfeel. I did some research on the malts and hops used in the beer but have no information on quantities or ratios. Could you guys offer me some help?

I am aiming for a 23L batch, with good head retention and mouth-feel and an ABV around 4.5%

Grain:
CARAMALT
MALTED OATS
MARIS OTTER,
WHEAT

HOPS:

As a newbie to IPAs, I'm not sure when to add various hops and how much of it I should add. Similarly, what ratio of grist should I use? Could someone help me achieve that desired tropical fruit flavours without overwhelming it with bitterness? I'll be using pellets. I could also do with some advice on the suggested yeast strain to use. i read somewhere that although it is called a session IPA, the beer style is closer to an American Pale Wheat Ale

Thanks for your help!

Use the maris otter for most of the grainbill- 63%
Malted oats (I don't care for them, so I'd go lower than maybe someone else)- 10%
Caramalt: 7%
Wheat: 20

I haven't made a session IPA in a very long time, but I would use only a tiny bit of columbus at 60 minutes, getting no more than about 10 IBUs there, as I love columbus but it gives a pretty harsh/firm bitterness.
Late additions of El Dorado give a sort of 'watermelon jolly ranchers' flavor, so use that with the mosaic for late hops and/or dryhops. Simcoe and amarillo together are one of my favorite combos, with a lovely citrusy pine. I never got "apricot, berry, passion-fruit" from simcoe, so that's maybe my palate.

the hopping with those hops together seem a bit tricky, so I don't really have great advice on the amounts or combos.

Use the maris otter for most of the grainbill- 63%
Malted oats (I don't care for them, so I'd go lower than maybe someone else)- 10%
Caramalt: 7%
Wheat: 20

I haven't made a session IPA in a very long time, but I would use only a tiny bit of columbus at 60 minutes, getting no more than about 10 IBUs there, as I love columbus but it gives a pretty harsh/firm bitterness.
Late additions of El Dorado give a sort of 'watermelon jolly ranchers' flavor, so use that with the mosaic for late hops and/or dryhops. Simcoe and amarillo together are one of my favorite combos, with a lovely citrusy pine. I never got "apricot, berry, passion-fruit" from simcoe, so that's maybe my palate.

the hopping with those hops together seem a bit tricky, so I don't really have great advice on the amounts or combos.

Thanks for the tips there! Appreciate it man :)

Thanks for the tips there! Appreciate it woman :)

Fixed that for you.......:)
Just kidding- I love that brewing is genderless and we're all "just one of the guys".
I know there are many others that brew those type of beers far more than I do- by the way, which beer is it that you are hoping to recreate? Maybe one of us knows the beer and can be more helpful.

Fixed that for you.......:)
Just kidding- I love that brewing is genderless and we're all "just one of the guys".
I know there are many others that brew those type of beers far more than I do- by the way, which beer is it that you are hoping to recreate? Maybe one of us knows the beer and can be more helpful.

haha, that gave me a giggle! My apologies. In fairness, I call everyone man, regardless of gender. Unfortunately the likelihood is little to none that someone will know the beer. It’s a craft beer brewed in a tiny town near where I live, Celbridge, Co. Kildare in Ireland! Rye River Brewing - Lil’ banging Session IPA.

Sláinte!

Your descriptors "this was smooth", and "lovely creamy mouthfeel.", makes me wonder if this is a Hazy, or New England style IPA. A combination of a fairly liberal amount of flaked wheat and or flaked oats (as much as 25%), along with the right amount of lactose can give a lovely pillowy mouth feel, and will also help support hop flavors. I have made a session style NEIPA that was very popular. I have never attempted a straight up Session IPA, I've never had the guts to try and pull off that tricky BU/GU balance.

Hey everyone.

Grain:
CARAMALT
MALTED OATS
MARIS OTTER,
WHEAT

HOPS:

Thanks for your help!

I've done a number of them. Here's one that might do it for you.

Attachments

• Session1122.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 61

Back