Recipe Estimates

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
The last 2 batches brewed using Great Western 2 Row has not hit any of the pre and post boil numbers based on the editor. My BIAB process has not changed. I even lowered the efficiency and I still fell short. Is it the grain not as convertible as the estimate? I am at a loss.

The last 2 batches brewed using Great Western 2 Row has not hit any of the pre and post boil numbers based on the editor. My BIAB process has not changed. I even lowered the efficiency and I still fell short. Is it the grain not as convertible as the estimate? I am at a loss.
Are you using the selection from our catalog or as a custom malt? I can check the specs on that.

I checked the stats we have, and they seem right for what you have in your recipe:
IMG_3596.jpeg

Are you finding that the OG is significantly lower, and only with this malt? I can dig into it further if there is a different profile from Great Western. I did see on their website that they only list ‘premium two row’ now, so you could try using that choice, although the profile is very similar:

IMG_3597.jpeg

I checked the stats we have, and they seem right for what you have in your recipe:
View attachment 27778

Are you finding that the OG is significantly lower, and only with this malt? I can dig into it further if there is a different profile from Great Western. I did see on their website that they only list ‘premium two row’ now, so you could try using that choice, although the profile is very similar:

View attachment 27780
Yes it's just that malt. I will not but it again. Thanks for looking into it. Merry Christmas!!

hello Yooper, I fail to hit the pre-boil gravity in my last brewing session in a big number, i also noticed that the pre-boil was relatively high vs the estimated OG (1.084 / 1.095)
how the system calculate the pre-boil gravity?
thx, Ben

hello Yooper, I fail to hit the pre-boil gravity in my last brewing session in a big number, i also noticed that the pre-boil was relatively high vs the estimated OG (1.084 / 1.095)
how the system calculate the pre-boil gravity?
thx, Ben
Can you provide your recipe, and measurements for the following?

Preboil volume, and preboil SG
Postboil volume and OG

it is a clone of the reverend, here is a pic of the brew log
1704423848898.png

I shared the recipe.

Attachments

• The Reverend.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
Hey Yooper,
any news about that issue
i brewed another batch since then, same wrong pre-boil estimate of the gravity
late addition of sugar was also ignored.
Thank you,
Ben

Hey Yooper,
any news about that issue
i brewed another batch since then, same wrong pre-boil estimate of the gravity
late addition of sugar was also ignored.
Thank you,
Ben
The pale ale malt- is this a Castle Malt?

In any case, it all looks good. I wonder if your efficiency is just higher than you have in the recipe, as you're only boiling off about half a gallon, and there seems to be really good efficiency.
I looked, and the late addition of sugar is being added- an extra 5 gravity points appears from it.

the pale ale is: Dingemans - Belgian Pilsner Malt
how many points are calculated for the boil?
is it calculated by time? so after 60 minutes less gravity points than after 90 minutes?

Back