Recipe Editor - Water Calc Differences

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I suspect it is due to rounding but can you explain why, when you have certain low values of Fermentables and you then go to the Water Calculator to adjust for pH and correct salts, the values brought across for the grains etc. always get converted into kg values when the recipe is stated in grams?

I was trying to balance grains to adjust for a suitable pH and this required tweaking the amounts of Black Malt and Chocolate malt so the pH was in the region of 5.4 - from the low 4s but as soon as I save the recipe and link to the Water Calculator the fermentables listed in the water calculator are rounded up (or down) and displayed as kg? Are the underlying values still retained and used in any calculation and it's only for display purposes that they are converted? Are lesser amounts that 100g of no value to the calculator - because they are insignificantly small - if so why use them at all? Even changing the dropdown scale to read grams retains the converted value.
Here are a couple of screen shots to show what I mean. The first is from the recipe. The second is the Water Calculator values of the same grains displayed when you select the [Update Grist From Recipe] button.

upload_2021-2-3_13-4-43.png
upload_2021-2-3_13-5-33.png

Good catch @AHarper.

Doing some quick tests, having a crystal malt at 60 grams gets rounded to 0.1 kg when saving or updating the grist on the mash chemistry calculator. Changing it back to grams, and 60 grams instead of 100 grams does in fact change the pH, so it looks like the displayed (converted and rounded) values are being used in the actual calculation.

I don't think this is an existing issue, so I'm submitting one now.

Back