Recipe editor: pre-boil gravity temperature adjustment?

hargakanay

Trial Member
Reaction score
The recipe editor predicts a pre-boil gravity. What is the corresponding temperature that this gravity is at? If I measure a pre-boil gravity at (say) 60°C, to what temperature should I adjust the gravity so that I can validly compare it to the predicted pre-boil gravity?

I suspect that it is the hydrometer temperature set in the equipment profile but I wanted to check!

Thanks guys, you're awesome :)

Welcome. To the best of my knowledge “I suspect that it is the hydrometer temperature set in the equipment profile but I wanted to check!” that is correct.
Brew on!

Welcome to the forums @hargakanay, anywhere you see the sg numbers is going to be at room/reference temperature.

If you're taking a sample at the hydrometers calibration temperature, then you're also reading your worts reference temperature, whether that temperature is at 50F, 60F, 68F, or any other temperature. If your hydrometer happens to be calibrated at 75F for some weird reason, then that's your reference temperature.

The only exception is where you see inputs for both the gravity, and the measurement temperature. However, it is best practice to allow the wort to cool to the temperature of your hydrometers calibration.

Hope that makes sense!

Welcome to the forums @hargakanay, anywhere you see the sg numbers is going to be at room/reference temperature.

If you're taking a sample at the hydrometers calibration temperature, then you're also reading your worts reference temperature, whether that temperature is at 50F, 60F, 68F, or any other temperature. If your hydrometer happens to be calibrated at 75F for some weird reason, then that's your reference temperature.

The only exception is where you see inputs for both the gravity, and the measurement temperature. However, it is best practice to allow the wort to cool to the temperature of your hydrometers calibration.

Hope that makes sense!

Hi there, thanks for the info! Does that mean that the predicted pre-boil gravity is at the reference temperature that is defined for my hydrometer in the equipment profile? Makes total sense that it would be; just wanted to check :)

Think of it this way. The postboil gravity will be 1.070 once chilled, the software will say 1.070. If you use your hydrometer at the calibrated temperature (say 68F), and you measured everything 100% accurately, and completely hit your efficiency exactly where you expected, then it should also say 1.070. But if you use your hydrometer, and the wort is at say 90F instead, the hydrometer would read around 1.067. If the hydrometer was calibrated for 60F, and you measured that same wort at 90F again, it would ready ~1.066. But if you chilled the wort down to 60F, it should read 1.070.

Hi, thanks for the response! I get the idea that the measured gravity will change with temperature, and so you have to measure the wort's temperature at the hydrometer's calibration temperature (or measure the actual temperature and adjust the gravity reading to the reference temperature) for the number read off the hydrometer to be accurate.

I think this stems from my not knowing/bothering to check my hydrometer's calibration temperature. Instead I've been using the wort temperature and adjusting the reading to an arbitrary 20°C using https://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/. I knew that I'd need Brewer's Friend to adjust to the same reference temperature. When I asked the question, I wasn't sure what reference temperature BF was adjusting to, though I assumed it was probably the hydrometer temperature defined in my equipment profile (which I also set to 20°C).

[Makes note to look at hydrometer and find out its reference temperature and stop wasting everyone's time :oops:;)]

Back