Recipe editor - Enzyme usage

GF Brews

Premium Plus Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Over in the gluten free brewing world commercial enzymes play a big role in starch conversion for malted gluten free grains that are typically lower in DP (and where higher gelatinization temps can denature the endogenous enzymes before they have a chance to do their work).

GF brewers using Brewer's Friend can and do use the "Other ingredients" section to include enzyme dosages during the mash. But it would be really useful to have some built-in logic for indicating dosage rate based on the type of enzyme and size of grain bill. Ideally there'd be an enzyme category that had the following properties:
- Manufacturer (e.g. Novozymes)
- Enzyme name (e.g. Ceremix Flex)
- Minimum dosage (e.g. 0.7 ml per kg)
- Maximum dosage (e.g. 1.1 ml per kg)
- Effective temperature range (e.g. 51-80 c)

When adding one of these enzymes to the recipe Brewer's Friend would suggest a dosage range based on pounds/kg of grain.

Thanks for considering!

Totally agree. We have a feature request somewhere to add other ingredients with dosage rates like yeast nutrients per sg and/or per ml. I'll add this to the ticket!

May also be useful for those brewing for distillation I suppose.

I also am using mash enzymes and would be glad for a "dose rate" field for that class of ingredient. It would also be a help to be able to have a dose rate field for kettle finnings such as Isinglass, gelatin, super moss, Kieselso, Chitosan, Whirlfloc powder etc.

@Pricelessbrewing Do you know if this ticket about adding "dose rates" on "Other" ingredients like enzymes and yeast ever got added? So far as I can see it is still not available?
It has not been added yet, but it's still open! We've been working on some other priorities at the moment but I will definitely make sure to comment here when it's back on a short timeline once our remaining major pipelines are completed.

Over in the gluten free brewing world commercial enzymes play a big role in starch conversion for malted gluten free grains that are typically lower in DP (and where higher gelatinization temps can denature the endogenous enzymes before they have a chance to do their work).

GF brewers using Brewer's Friend can and do use the "Other ingredients" section to include enzyme dosages during the mash. But it would be really useful to have some built-in logic for indicating dosage rate based on the type of enzyme and size of grain bill. Ideally there'd be an enzyme category that had the following properties:
- Manufacturer (e.g. Novozymes)
- Enzyme name (e.g. Ceremix Flex)
- Minimum dosage (e.g. 0.7 ml per kg)
- Maximum dosage (e.g. 1.1 ml per kg)
- Effective temperature range (e.g. 51-80 c)

When adding one of these enzymes to the recipe Brewer's Friend would suggest a dosage range based on pounds/kg of grain.

Thanks for considering!
Really enjoyed the rabbit hole link your provided there.
I see dosage rates listed in that link so thanks there is so much more to a GF mash enzymes mash temperatures and which enzyme for which mash temp ect I see where a simple dosage rate can ease your mind on brew day.

I'm thinking of drawing up a chart and putting it on the keezer for easy reference on brew day here.
Cheers again for the zero tolerance wiki link :)

Hi, I'm super new on Brewers Friend. Is there much for alternative grains and enzymes? I haven't even looked at the recipe builder yet.

Hi, I'm super new on Brewers Friend. Is there much for alternative grains and enzymes? I haven't even looked at the recipe builder yet.
Welcome to Brewer's Friend! Any ingredient that is missing can be added as a custom ingredient, so any alternative gluten free grains can be fully supported. Enzymes are support now, but as a total amount (12grams, 1 oz for example), not at a dosing rate (2 grams per gallon).

Hey guys, I like to use Mangrove Jack dry enzyme at pitching time to make low carb (but tasty) beers. You say enzymes have been added but I cannot for the life of me find them in the yeast or other additions section. It obviously has a huge effect on my final sg so it would be good if it was available.

This would be a big ask but that and a little information on the Enzyme and dosage would be cool.

I just manually write the Enzyme into the Other section of the recipe editor and add the mls or Grams needed to hit the dosage rate.

Also different Enzymes have different dosage rates even within the same Enzyme group bit from different manufacturers so a spreadsheet I think is the best approach I gotta do one up.

Key Info is Dosage amount Optimal temperature range and PH.

This would be a big ask but that and a little information on the Enzyme and dosage would be cool.

I just manually write the Enzyme into the Other section of the recipe editor and add the mls or Grams needed to hit the dosage rate.

Also different Enzymes have different dosage rates even within the same Enzyme group bit from different manufacturers so a spreadsheet I think is the best approach I gotta do one up.

Key Info is Dosage amount Optimal temperature range and PH.
I do the same using the Other section. But maybe I'm missing something with a new Enzyme ingredients category? (I'm assuming Other ingredients or mashing guidelines would be the most likely place to find this). Agreed, it would be super helpful to have a calculator to allow you to save preferred dosage values (ml's per pound or kg, perhaps saved in your inventory?) for different enzymes then calculate amounts based on grain bill. I use a copy of this spreadsheet with my preferred dosage rate. It would simplify having it in Brewers Friend rather than popping over to the spreadsheet, but it's not a huge ordeal. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...cKNy88wnLlSugCyqh16AWWUgG9MsODe6Ep7aCkU#gid=0

I do the same using the Other section. But maybe I'm missing something with a new Enzyme ingredients category? (I'm assuming Other ingredients or mashing guidelines would be the most likely place to find this). Agreed, it would be super helpful to have a calculator to allow you to save preferred dosage values (ml's per pound or kg, perhaps saved in your inventory?) for different enzymes then calculate amounts based on grain bill. I use a copy of this spreadsheet with my preferred dosage rate. It would simplify having it in Brewers Friend rather than popping over to the spreadsheet, but it's not a huge ordeal. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...cKNy88wnLlSugCyqh16AWWUgG9MsODe6Ep7aCkU#gid=0
Cheers man!
Pity local HBS don't stock Ondea pro or them American produced Enzymes.
We got similar Enzymes available to us here in Aus.

But I've noticed of late my conversion hasn't been as high as with Ondea Pro

Cheers man!
Pity local HBS don't stock Ondea pro or them American produced Enzymes.
We got similar Enzymes available to us here in Aus.

But I've noticed of late my conversion hasn't been as high as with Ondea Pro
Yeah, no retailers or suppliers in Canada for that matter -- I've got to order from the US with shipping and conversion rate adding to the bill. I've heard there are a couple suppliers for Ondea Pro in Oz -- Mates Rates and BeerCo are the two I know of. I'm guessing no Ceremix though? That seems to be the main workhorse, especially if you're brewing with millet.

Yeah, no retailers or suppliers in Canada for that matter -- I've got to order from the US with shipping and conversion rate adding to the bill. I've heard there are a couple suppliers for Ondea Pro in Oz -- Mates Rates and BeerCo are the two I know of. I'm guessing no Ceremix though? That seems to be the main workhorse, especially if you're brewing with millet.
Yeah Mates Rates is where I did get hold of Ondea pro they sold out and when I emailed em about it they arnt ordering any more anytime soon.

I've been using their Deltamalt Enzyme I think it's called it's an Enzyme blend Proteases beta-glucanase and high temp Alpha Amylase blend and the dosage is around 1.5 ml / Kg grist.

I'll have to check out beerco they are based in Victoria so shipping is pricey mates rates on the other hand are in brissy and have epic Hop deals which are hard to beat.

Cheers

Beerco I checked last night have a broad range of Enzymes but their smallest package size is 1Lt.

Mates Rates are great they package down to 50ml and 100ml sizes more suited to hombrewing.

Back